Push 2 certain buttons not working

Discuss Push with other users.
blakecsilva

Push 2 certain buttons not working

Post by blakecsilva » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 pm

I've been using my push 2 for years with no issues, just recently had to reinstall Ableton on a new laptop and so far most of the push buttons are unresponsive. Accent, layout and everything on the top works fine (device, browse, mix,, Ect. Along with all the very top buttons and knobs). The main pads even work but as for changing the scale or anything else it's completely unresponsive. Doesn't even register the midi triggering in Ableton. Any suggestions ?

ruanconner

Re: Push 2 certain buttons not working

Post by ruanconner » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:15 am

Just seeing your post now after making one of my own. If it's any consolation, I have been having the exact same issue. At least I know it's not just my Push it's happening to. Hopefully one of us gets a response!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:04 pm

Did you try using another USB cable?
Are you using the power adaptor? A usb hub?
Ableton Forum Moderator

ruanconner

Post by ruanconner » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:06 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:04 pm
Did you try using another USB cable?
Are you using the power adaptor? A usb hub?
In my case yes, I am using a USB hub which has had no other issues with any products I'm using. I even bought a new one to see if that would fix it and had no luck. I had auto updates turned on and am pretty sure the issue started once I updated to 10.1.25 which I see includes a Push firmware update. I suspect the firmware update possibly has something to do with it. I'm not sure why the USB hub would cause only certain buttons to not function, I can't think of what else would cause this odd issue other than possibly the firmware update.

Lovelights

Post by Lovelights » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:39 am

Try other cable and without hub.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Lovelights wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:39 am
Try other cable and without hub.
Probably is using a macbook with USBC so has to use a hub or has to purchase a USBC converter cable and risk that not cramming into the Push hole, and she can be a tight fit

ecuk

Post by ecuk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:55 am

Or use a USB-C to USB-A adaptor, available from pretty much any good online retailer. I use one with my Push as well as a variety of other old USB-A thingies, and I have not had any problems.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

FxCircus

Post by FxCircus » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:21 pm

ruanconner wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:15 am
Just seeing your post now after making one of my own. If it's any consolation, I have been having the exact same issue. At least I know it's not just my Push it's happening to. Hopefully one of us gets a response!
Same here: I posted on the other thread too. I also have unresponsive buttons on my Push 2, that I bought recently second hand. I was under the impression that I got ripped off and that my unit was defective although it looked brand new.
I have no issues at all when using the Push 1 that I still own (I have a recent MacBook pro and I'm also using a usb hub). But seeing that I'm not the only one to experience this, I now believe it could be something else.

By the way: I didn't upgrade to Big Sur, because I didn't want to experience compatibility issues and stuff like that with Ableton and my current config, but I have the latest version of Live.

FxCircus

Post by FxCircus » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Okay, here's a possible solution. I found it on a random youtube video about this issue (sorry for not remembering which one, I wasn't expecting the solution to come out of a youtube video...)

In my case it was quite simple : go to "preferences" menu in Live, then choose "Link/midi" and check if your Push 2 is listed twice in the surface control list. If it is the case, just make sure it appears only once in the list, and bam ! problem solved ! all the buttons and everything go back to normal.

Apparently, sometimes when you close Live 10 before turning off Push 2, once you restart Live, your Push will be listed twice in the surface control list (it might also happen when you let your computer go to sleep mode, while using Live) and if that happens, this is when you will get the Push to have all sorts of strange behaviour, and the buttons to stop working. Making sure it appears only once fixes that kind of problems, at least it did in my case, without me having to buy another cable or usb hub or anything.

Hope it helps.

tomsoldan91

Re: Push 2 control pad buttons not illuminating

Post by tomsoldan91 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:33 am

Hi everyone,

I'm having a similar issue.

- All of the pad-buttons along the left & right sides of my Push 2 aren't illuminating.

- When I load a new midi instrument (like a drum set for example) the lights on the push do not load properly (I don't get the classic 4x4 beat layout illumination).

- I am using AC power and have tried changing USB ports.

- I have also tried resetting the Link/ Midi settings under Ableton's preferences.

I recently installed Big Sur so I'm guessing that may have something to do with the problem,

Any suggestions?