OLD MacBook and SSD card.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sinkysaurus

OLD MacBook and SSD card.

Post by sinkysaurus » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 am

Hello folks.
My main computer has died, and I am going to be using my older Macbook for Ableton from now on, but it has almost no space.
If i bought an external SSD drive, would it be possible to install and run VST's, Ableton live packs/Native Access etc etc from the SSD?
This seems like a simple question, but when I googled it I got different answers from various forums etc.
Thanks a lot folks

jestermgee

Re: OLD MacBook and SSD card.

Post by jestermgee » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 pm

Really depends on what your connection is for the drive. If it is USB2 then probably won't be a good idea. USB3 should be fine but you need a USB drive attachment that can deliver the speeds.

It's typically a good idea tho to install software and plugins on the internal drive and have content, samples and libraries on the ext drive if at all possible. I know macbooks make this hard due to only offering a spare 2MB of HDD space for files but it is the prefered way to work so try move as much "data" to the ext drive and keep programs on the internal drive.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:10 am

sinkysaurus wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 am
Hello folks.
My main computer has died, and I am going to be using my older Macbook for Ableton from now on, but it has almost no space.
If i bought an external SSD drive, would it be possible to install and run VST's, Ableton live packs/Native Access etc etc from the SSD?
This seems like a simple question, but when I googled it I got different answers from various forums etc.
Thanks a lot folks
um, which MacBook have you got?

sinkysaurus

Post by sinkysaurus » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:03 am

2014 macbook pro

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:15 pm

sinkysaurus wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:03 am
2014 macbook pro
okay, so you have Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3 ports. a decent external SSD that connects via USB 3 will be workable for samples and other library content. the internal drive however will be much faster, so you it would be best to put the most critical stuff on the internal drive.

how big is the internal SSD?

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:32 pm

One factor no-one’s mentioned is that a USB SSD can not be sent TRIM commands by a Mac. Thunderbolt can handle TRIM though depending on the OS version it may be necessary to use the trimforce command to switch it on.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:32 pm

TLW wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:32 pm
One factor no-one’s mentioned is that a USB SSD can not be sent TRIM commands by a Mac. Thunderbolt can handle TRIM though depending on the OS version it may be necessary to use the trimforce command to switch it on.
Yeah it's really only something one needs to be concerned about if they use the drive as an active read+write drive moving a lot of files around and modifying/deleting files constantly like an OS drive or something used for maybe recording.

If it's a static library drive where you dump data and just read it forever, TRIM isn't a concern worth explaining about really.