Latency issues driving me insane, could anyone help?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eoppe1022

Latency issues driving me insane, could anyone help?

Post by eoppe1022 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:53 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit stuck here because I feel like I've tried everything I can find online (probably untrue, but alas) yet I still have latency issues in Ableton Live 10 that bother me.

I'm running Live 10 Suite with a Push 2 on a ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop. I managed to get my overall latency down to 10 ms through using ASIO4ALL, setting my buffer size to 64 samples and my in/out sample rate to 96k. With that said, 10 ms is still too high given that I'm trying to play pretty quick drum patterns that get messed up with that delay.

Do any of you know if I could reasonably get my latency down to 0 ms (or approach it closely) or is 10 ms as good as I can get here? Any advice appreciated.

Mark Williams

Re: Latency issues driving me insane, could anyone help?

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 pm

You probably wont get less than that using Asio4all, you certainly will not get 0 latency which is an impossible target, you would need an Audio Interface, even so @96khz 10ms is ok. Have you tried 48khz? I only ever record and use 48khz @64samples and my latency is about 6.4ms, but I tend to use 128 samples which gives me 9ms which is small enough, and yes I play drums too, and 9ms is low enough for me.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

eoppe1022

Post by eoppe1022 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Any idea what gives you a latency of 6.4 ms with 48khz @64 samples, while my latency at 48khz @64 samples is not only 13.4 ms but also super glitchy and distorted to the point where I can't use it?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:30 pm

Your CPU will play a part in that too, plus I use the correct drivers for my Focusrite Audio Interface. Asio4all doesnt cut it....
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:58 pm

What kind of sound card and speakers are you using? 10ms should not be an issue unless there’s a latency from your speakers or you have a really bad instrument (double triggering, missed triggers, etc) as an input method.

eoppe1022

Post by eoppe1022 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:20 pm

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure which sound card I'm using. I see an NVIDIA High Definition Audio, AMD High Definition Audio Device, Realtek High Definition Audio, and NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible WDM) in my sound devices.

I'm using my laptop's built-in speakers, which I believe are two 2.5 W Realtek speakers. I could be wrong though

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Onboard soundcards do not give you best result. Ideally grab a Audio Interface, the Focusrite Scarletts do the job at a good price too.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:15 pm
Onboard soundcards do not give you best result. Ideally grab a Audio Interface, the Focusrite Scarletts do the job at a good price too.
+1 On that one, grab an interface!!!! And use the proper drivers then, suplied by the vendor.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

opris

Post by opris » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi

i just bought the whole packet.. live, push 2 and a new computer with i7 chip 16GB ram etc....(lenovo).

Nothing else running..

Cant get latency below 60ms..

Any ideas - cant believe i bought all this stuff a few days ago and it is so annoying not to be able to use it properly.

tks

eoppe1022

Post by eoppe1022 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Ha sounds like we're in similar positions.

Seems like the consensus is that using an audio interface is the key to getting latency down, but it's frustrating that another piece of gear on top of all of that is necessary.

Any thoughts from those in the know? Is the audio interface the key?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:16 pm

It depends. Personally, I think an audio interface makes things a lot easier and more reliable (and consistent), but an audio interface isn’t necessarily key. But that’s where consistency and making things easier come into play.

You can use Asio drivers that will hijack and make use of whatever sound card is already on your system. And from there you have to really get to know your setup, and your audio inputs and outputs.

Turn off all audio inputs and outputs that you’re not using on the asio settings, if you’re not sure which one is the one you’re getting sound from, that’s a good time to find out. If you’re not recording from a mic (even if you intend to ‘eventually’ record from a mic, but aren’t doing it this moment) then turn off ALL audio Inputs and only use audio outputs.

Aside from that it comes down to optimization of your system and getting to know how different buffer settings affect your work methods.

And learning at some points to just ‘accept’ certain amounts of latency, don’t let the number you see kill your ability to do work. Take what you’ve managed to scrap together up to now and use it to learn music production, use it to learn more about how latency does and doesn’t affect your methods. Just by Having the tools you currently have, nothing should really stop you from exploring.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:35 pm

An audio interface will certainly help reducing latency, plus optimising your PC will help too.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

opris

Post by opris » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:02 pm

hmmm... unfortunate that on all the demos etc shown in advertising, nobody ever mentioned that on this live software you do indeed need to buy an audio interface having just spent 3000 euro on laptop , push 2, live software etc..

unfortunately being a live player and never had an experience on midi etc.. it is really difficult to play with a latency of 70ms.

If anyone from ableton is tracking this conversation i find it quite unfair especially when it is supposed to be a midi controller for playing live and that the publicity says - just plug into the software...

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:41 pm

You can plug and play, but depends on your computer cpu and onboard sound card, which are normally not that great for audio work. All of which is completely out of Ableton control. Audio interface is a nice to have for best results.

opris

Post by opris » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:44 pm

ok but i bought a lap top with more than required from ableton advertised min specs... i7, 16GB ram etc etc.. sound card - no idea... would have bought a mac if i knew better seems that windows drivers are not so adapted...