Finally installing Live 5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jtenney

Finally installing Live 5

Post by jtenney » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:25 pm

Hello people--

I have been away from working with Live for several months, doing projects with Reason and also a lot of music notation work with Finale. (By the way, any installation problems with Live, and Reason 3.0 as well, probably pale in comparison to what Finale 2006 users experienced; it STARTED with many users' address books being totally wiped out, and progressed from there...)

Anyway, I have had Live 5 sitting on my desk for weeks, and am finally ready to install it. I recall problems with preference file issues etc., but wasn't able to find references to them in a search.

So, could anyone be so kind as to tell me what the sequence is for installation? Do I have to trash any preference files first? Does Live 5 install on top of Live 4, or parallel to it? Also, I would assume that one could delete example files from Live 4, since there seem to be new ones for Live 5.

Feel free to tell me to RTFM, or search the posts better, but I really did try...

Thanks in advance!

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:47 am

I too am on a g4 and I just installed Live 5 next to a copy of live 4 and all is working fine. you shouldn't have any problems if everything works the same was as it worked for me.

I never had any problems with reason 3 install either. did you?

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:13 pm

Hello Johnisfaster--

Thanks for the tip. So, if Live 5 opens totally parallel to Live 4, could I open a session in Live 4 if I wanted (while I was still learning the ins and outs of Live 5) without confusing things?

About Reason 3: I had none of the install problems that some people did (which I think was the result of bad discs that had to be replaced). I did have something really weird, though, where the 3.0.3 upgrade, for no reason I or other Props wizards can see, trashed an important function in the NN19 sampler having to do with sound decay (or lack of it), which is really important to the way I work (perhaps not so important to others, since I never saw any other reference to the same problem). So I uninstalled it and went back to 3.0, where I will stay. Everything else works just fine, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Again, appreciate the Live 5 info!!

later,
John (on Monday morning after a weekend playing weddings ThisJohnisdefinitelyslower...)

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:12 am

um... first off you probably won't be able to run them both at the same time very well as they will automatically rewire (sync up) which will probably just annoy you and or slow your computer down.

most of my songs from live 4 work fine in live 5 with a few stragglers aside that seem to crash live when I try to open them but thats only 3 or 4 out of probably 50 sets that I've found to do that (which could be associated with a certain plug used in the sets but I haven't noticed)

I'm almost certain you'll be able to open live 5 songs in live 4(but not with any of the exclusive 5 plugs like saturator and what not) but you will experience some problems here and there and most likely a couple of program crashes. but I don't mean to make it sound like this will happen alot I'm just saying it'll probably happen a bit. but then my experience is the opposite direction(4 to 5 not 5 to 4)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:17 am

there is a huge difference in 5 compared to 4 in that loops don't have the same kind of offset that you can drag around quickly to rearrange the loop, it still has the function but it works in a very different way. there are alot of other differences but thats the one that in my mind almost seems like it went "down" instead of "up"

I actually keep live 4 around just so I can use the offset on a loop and record it into the song arrangement and then save it and open it in 5 and you have a nicely sliced up loop in the arrangement
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:24 am

Again, Johnisfaster, thanks!! Glad for the expertise.

later,
John

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:01 am

it's not expertise ;) just very limited experience

the only reason it applies at all to you is that we both have live 4 & 5 and we are both using a g4 which is really convenient for discussing things. I'll have to keep your name on my list for future reference.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:28 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I have just installed Live 5 next to a copy of live 4 and all is working fine.
I never had any problems with reason 3 install either. did you?

OWN3D - :roll: .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....