Newb needs help

Discuss Push with other users.
SonicCube

Newb needs help

Post by SonicCube » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi guys,
My first post so please be gentle with me! :D I've recorded a drum loop, great but I want to be able to "overdub" audio effects into the loop but I seem to be having some difficulty working out how to do this.
I'd really appreciate any advice on this. I tried pushing the record button on PushII three times (as I read in the manual) and it just records my drum loop for as long as I leave it going. As I say though I'd like some audio effects to change along the duration of the recording. I'm a bit puzzled TBH!..

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Newb needs help

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 pm

In Session or Arrangement view?
You want to automate e.g Saturator on and off in the middle of your loop, is that it? Then you need to activate the automation recording option which is is a button with 2 circles diagonaly joined by a line; it's at the top right next to the "+" (midi overdub) button near the transport bar.
Ableton Forum Moderator

SonicCube

Post by SonicCube » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Thanks jur, erm, I am really new to this (three days and never used anything like this before) :oops: I'm not sure which mode I'm in/need to be in i.e. session or arrangement. Is this something I can select in Push? Sorry to sound REEEAAAALLLY dumb! :oops:

SonicCube

Post by SonicCube » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Just got it for anyone else who might need to know, in Live (at the top of the page) there's a plus symbol, a symbol with two circles diagonally joined by a line, two other symbols THEN an innocuous looking circle, you gotta hit that to overdub (if I've got this right!)

ONE FURTHER QUESTION:

Whilst I was able to overdub audio effects I couldn't seem to overdub a change of pitch, does anyone know how to do this please??..

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 am

My suggestion would be to forget making anything at the moment, read the manual in your spare time and focus purely on what issue you have in front of you experimenting and testing until you find the solution. You will eventually discover what you need and will retain the info much better if you invested the time to discover.