Purge project of unused audio files

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
mountwest

Purge project of unused audio files

Post by mountwest » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am

I see it could be very useful to have the possibility to remove all audio files that are not active inside of the arrangement view or clip view.

Let's say we have a drum rack with a lot of different samples we have used for experimenting with ideas. After we have finished the production phase, there are only a few of those samples that are getting triggered throughout the whole project, making the rest unused and basically taking up space if we want to "Collect all & Save".

Also when we record audio into our project, EVERY recording gets saved. Now that is great when doing productions to have access to all files, at all times. However, when we have finished our production and perhaps want to move ahead for mixing and post-production, having those leftover files in your project can be very tedious when sharing it to a collaborator or saving the project for archiving purposes.

My inspiration for this feature comes from working with an Akai MPC which allows for the possibility to "Purge" unused audio files. It's very handy and keeps the project nice and tidy :)

Tarekith

Re: Purge project of unused audio files

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:47 pm

This is already in Live. Go to File, Manage Project, then select delete unused audio.

mountwest

Post by mountwest » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:47 pm
This is already in Live. Go to File, Manage Project, then select delete unused audio.
I'm aware that you can do it manually.

What I'm thinking of is an automatic function which removes any audio file in the project folder which is never played in the arrangement or clip view:)

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:59 pm

It's there - automatic detection: (Manage Files) -> (Manage Project) -> (Unused files) -> (Show) -> delete

So you can easily detect and purge all unused files. Just not a menu item like "purge unused files", because maybe one don't want to purge all unused files and keep some for other purposes.