Return Tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DukeOfLizards

Return Tracks

Post by DukeOfLizards » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:18 am

I already have reductive EQs on my individual tracks but just came across someone mentioning to EQ on Reverb and Delay return tracks as well. Should I EQ return Reverb/Delay tracks? And if so, before or after the actual Return/Reverb device if doing so only to cut unwanted low frequencies that might muddy up the mix? Thanks

Chancery

Re: Return Tracks

Post by Chancery » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:21 am

Google "the Abbey Road reverb trick" for a few tips and tricks on that subject, and get you started.

DukeOfLizards

Post by DukeOfLizards » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 pm

Great tip, thanks! Already working nicely. What about the Delay return track? Similar technique? Any recos?

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:07 am

I personally do pretty much the same with delays. Cut highs and lows to taste. It sounds more natural. Many EQs and Delays already have built-in filters though.

DukeOfLizards

Post by DukeOfLizards » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 pm

Gotcha. Beyond more refined EQ/frequency control, is there an advantage to using EQ Eight vs the built-in EQ on Ableton's stock Delay plug-in? Especially if just really cutting lows and highs?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Experimentation is always the best way to learn, that's why scientists experiment often.

The "EQ" on the delay is a "filter" to trim low/highs in a single step. Will do the exact same job as an EQ8 set to a Low/High shelf.

You want to EQ a signal before it hits the aeffect because there is no point forcing an effect to process low frequencies when you will trim them off anyway.... unless you need the lows. Reverb and delay you almost always want to get rid of the low end because it's the space of the highs you want to fill.

Where an EQ8 can come in handy (and this always depends on your content and aimed results, there is no actual rules) is if you need to maybe boost a small range at the same time as cutting others to add some space, or notch out some frequencies that are annoying.

Can always be handy to just add an E8 (create racks with it already loaded with your effect) so you can experiment. EQ8 is very useful and lite on resources, well worth adding to every track IMO.

DukeOfLizards

Post by DukeOfLizards » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:31 am

Thanks for the info., super helpful. And on the same topic of return tracks, I have an individual FX riser track being sent through a Return Reverb and Delay track. I'm noticing some unwanted tails after I mute this FX track before a drop, so tried deleting the sends and putting the same Return Reverb and Return Delay from the Return tracks onto the actual FX riser track itself. However, when I do this the sound is different. Why is this?

And how can I replicate the sound or just continue using the Return Tracks but get rid of the tails (without automating gain reduction on the Return Tracks as I need them on for other tracks)?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:17 am

DukeOfLizards wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:31 am
Thanks for the info., super helpful. And on the same topic of return tracks, I have an individual FX riser track being sent through a Return Reverb and Delay track. I'm noticing some unwanted tails after I mute this FX track before a drop, so tried deleting the sends and putting the same Return Reverb and Return Delay from the Return tracks onto the actual FX riser track itself. However, when I do this the sound is different. Why is this?
Without seeing both the setup of return Vs how it is placed on the track itself it could be anything but a return track is receiving a portion of your tracks sound and outputting (I would assume) only a wet signal to mix with the full dry signal of a track so it is a subtle mix in parallel with your track audio

When you place the effects onto the track they are in series with your audio chain so unless you adjust the dry/wet mix correct you can end up having the balance wrong between the track and effect audio. That is why sends are useful because you tap off some of the sound.

DukeOfLizards wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:31 am
And how can I replicate the sound or just continue using the Return Tracks but get rid of the tails (without automating gain reduction on the Return Tracks as I need them on for other tracks)?
Well you cant. When you mute audio from a track the effects tail (release) will still process the sound for the duration of the release. A simple suggestion would be for a riser to not use any reverb or delay but if you must, duplicate your return track and use one just for the riser and you will then have to mute the return or you could try automate the send control and pull it down just before you mute to remove the signal but personally I wouldn't run a riser/sweep through the reverb if I wanted a sudden stop without a tail as it might sound a bit abrupt.

DukeOfLizards

Post by DukeOfLizards » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Ha, didn't even think of that. Duplicating the Return Track worked, thanks!