Count-in for every clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SteveScoob

Count-in for every clip

Post by SteveScoob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi All

Trickie one to explain for me. Hopefully a simple answer though.

I'm using a Lunchpad Pro mk 3. Ableton 10 is configured for a fixed length 4 bar loop and also has a one bar count in.

Is it possible to have a count in for every clip that i select to record? After the first clip is recorded and playing, every subsequent clip starts to record without a count in.

When the subsequent clips start to record depends on what bar is currently looping when i press it. If i press to record the second clip while the loop is on bar two (for example) then the second clip wont start to record until playback reaches bar one again, so i have time. If however i select the secondary clip to record when the fourth bar is playing, i only have < one bar to prepair.

Any ideas?

yur2die4

Re: Count-in for every clip

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Either hit stop, and then do the count in, or adapt to the method of doing it while clips are playing.

Takes a little practice and wrapping your head around it, but trying to have it both ways starts verging on Live either becoming psychic or bending the fabric of time and space.

SteveScoob

Post by SteveScoob » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm

Fair enough dude. With practice i'll get used to the timing i guess

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:54 am

Also keep in mind that there is One more method that I love using.

You can either be playing along or just have it stopped and play your idea.

Then hit the ‘Capture’ button on the top. Instead of recording the idea, it just takes your last attempt at playing along and turns it into a clip without the stress of trying to get the perfect take And trigger a clip.

SteveScoob

Post by SteveScoob » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks man i'll check it out. Didnt know the feature existed (i'm still new :p ) but it sounds decent.