MPE automation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ancrenoire

MPE automation

Post by ancrenoire » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi,
when I record an MPE track in Live 11 (ROLI LightPad Block to Equator 2 VST) in Arrangement view, the MPE automation data is recorded both on the track and inside the clip. On playback, the automation inside the clip takes priority : the automation on the track gets greyed out and the red arrow at the top of the UI is lit. Is there a way to chose / disable one of the two ?
Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: MPE automation

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:11 pm

MPE data are reocrded in clips.
What the arrangement automations names are?
Ableton Forum Moderator

ancrenoire

Post by ancrenoire » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:37 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. You are right, my mistake, it is not the MPE data, it is the macros of Equator that are recorded as track automation (named Macro 1, Macro2,etc.) and at the same time as MIDI envelopes inside the clip (as Midi Ctrl | 107, Midi Ctrl | 109, etc.). Thus doubling the info.
I didn't come across this problem with Live 10...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:30 pm

Mmh, that's interesting...
Did you change something compare to L10 in your midi preferences?
Ableton Forum Moderator

ancrenoire

Post by ancrenoire » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:15 pm

I ran a few tests. The problem is the same in Live 10 and 11. I don't know if it has something to do with ROLI Lightpad Block or if it's something more obvious that I'm missing...

The midi info that is recorded into the clip comes from Lightpad Block.
The Lightpad Block sends a midi CC that is mapped to Equator's macro. So as I'm recording in Live, when I touch a slider on the Lightpad Block, both the variation of the macro in Equator and the CC sent by Lightpad are recorded (the first one on the track, the second one inside the clip). When I playback, the CC recorded into the clip takes priority over the macro automation recorded in the track. Thus the sound is correct (the macro moves accordingly to the CC automation) but the "Re-enable automation" arrow is lit and the macro automation lane greyed out...

The Lightpad is new and I'm discovering MPE, that's why I thought this was an MPE issue (sorry for that, the title of this thread is now misleading). But I've used numerous controllers before and never encountered such an issue...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 pm

It sounds like you have your Block selected both as a "Control Surface" and in the "Midi Ports" in Live's midi preferences...
Ableton Forum Moderator

ancrenoire

Post by ancrenoire » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Thank you for your time [jur].
Even though Block is selected as a Control Surface by default when opening Live, the issue is still present after deselecting it.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:27 am

But is it selected in the midi ports too (underneath the Control Surfaces settings)?
Ableton Forum Moderator

ancrenoire

Post by ancrenoire » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:59 pm

The LightPad Block is only selected as a Track MIDI Port input (and disabled as a control surface). Otherwise it doesn't send any midi info to Live.
I can't wrap my head around this...

Here is an image illustrating the problem. The Lightpad isn't even plugged in. It shows the double automation info: on the track (as Equator macro automation) and inside the clip (as CC automation).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz5ge31w9m0b0 ... .47.06.png

Another issue is that LightPad is seems to be sending constantly CCs as long as it is plugged, messing with Ableton Live's undo/redo feature...

ancrenoire

Post by ancrenoire » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Here is the midi configuration in Live and in the Lightpad app :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/87cx2o613l9qo ... 6.png?dl=0

Muze

Post by Muze » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 pm
It sounds like you have your Block selected both as a "Control Surface" and in the "Midi Ports" in Live's midi preferences...
Thanks - I have a Lightpad block and ` Seaboard block and want to use the Seaboard as my MPE keyboard and the Lighted as an XYZ source - so what would be the proper configuration in Live 11 midi panel?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Muze wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 pm
[jur] wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 pm
Thanks - I have a Lightpad block and ` Seaboard block and want to use the Seaboard as my MPE keyboard and the Lighted as an XYZ source - so what would be the proper configuration in Live 11 midi panel?
There's only a Control Surface script for the Lightpad Block as the Seaboard isn't a "controller" per se. So:
- select the Block in the Control Surfaces
- in the midi port make sure that MPE is checked for your Seaboard.
Ableton Forum Moderator