Sound stuttering after new MacBook purchase

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PupmaTz

Sound stuttering after new MacBook purchase

Post by PupmaTz » Wed May 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I bought a new MacBook recently and recovered all the files and programs from my old MacBook through my external hard drive to the new MacBook. Today during a band live session, my Ableton went nuts and every time I hit a note on my keyboard there was just a stuttering sound coming out of the PA.. this never happened before. We checked everything like updates on my software, tried different jack leads, restarted DAW and laptop, tried it in Logic (same issue), ran it through my laptop speakers (and it worked fine), tried different buffer sizes and sample rates. So it seems that the audio information going from my keys into the PA is not processed properly and we ran out of ideas eventually. In the end we ran it through the headphones output of my laptop rather than my interface and it worked but its not ideal. Had a couple of rehearsals last week in different studios and it worked perfectly fine... the monitor speakers were fine as well as we ran other instruments through it. Not sure if this is even an Ableton issue but I'm running out of ideas and was hoping someone here has an idea what might cause the problem. I got the new MacBook Air M1 Big Sur 16GB, Alesis iO2 interface and Komplete MK2 keys.

Sorry if I missed any information to clarify my issue, let me know if you need anything else.

Hope this is the right forum to look for answers, thanks a lot for any help!

All the best,
Tobias

Calagan

Re: Sound stuttering after new MacBook purchase

Post by Calagan » Sat May 29, 2021 7:28 am

It looks like the issue comes from the Alesis iO2 interface (if everything seems to works ok from the headphone output).

Is it really compatible with Big Sur and the ARM processors ?
It seems it's quite an old interface, and even the new ones are barely compatible with the brand new ARM processors...

PupmaTz

Post by PupmaTz » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Hey mate,

Yeah that would be my guess as well, got a rehearsal tonight and will try a different interface which is compatible. Thanks for your help bud!

Best,
Tobias

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:49 pm

Live isn't yet running natively on Apple Silicon machines.
Ableton Forum Moderator

PupmaTz

Post by PupmaTz » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:49 pm
Live isn't yet running natively on Apple Silicon machines.
But why does it work through my headphone output but not through an audio interface?

Just came back from rehearsal and doesn't work with a different interface either... sooo frustrating! :( Anyone any other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:57 pm

Your headphones plugged into the mac directly, right?
That would probably mean that your external soundcard isn't compatible with apple silicon either.
Ableton Forum Moderator

PupmaTz

Post by PupmaTz » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:14 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:57 pm
Your headphones plugged into the mac directly, right?
That would probably mean that your external soundcard isn't compatible with apple silicon either.
Yeah Im going via aux cable from headphones output of the MacBook into the PA which works but isn't ideal (can also run the sound out of my MacBook speakers and it comes out clear, only through the PA it seems to have problems).

So you mean the sound card of my interface isn't compatible?! As mentioned, I tried a different one today (Scarlett 2i2) which is compatible according to their website but still didn't work... also I have the same issue running through Logic so Im not sure if its the DAW..

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:34 pm

PupmaTz wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:14 pm
also I have the same issue running through Logic so Im not sure if its the DAW..
:wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator