Live 11 - keeping automation for new takes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarantulope

Live 11 - keeping automation for new takes

Post by Tarantulope » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:03 am

Love the take lanes and comping functions in Live 11.

Sometimes I want to record a new take after I've already added some automation. For instance, automating the gain on a utility plugin.
No worries mate, When I record directly over the previous take, my automation stays in place just like how I want it :D

But sometimes I like to create a new take lane and manually move the previous take to a new take lane before I record. I realize that this is less efficient, but I like to visually organize my takes ahead of time and we're all entitled to a few idiosyncratic workflow techniques, whatever.

But if I do this, The automation on the track disappears, and the only way to then record with the automation I've already created is to copy it before I create a new take lane and paste it on the new lane.

Is there another way to link the automation to the track, or stop the creation of a new take lane from removing my automation?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Live 11 - keeping automation for new takes

Post by [jur] » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:30 am

What if the envelopes lock is on?
Ableton Forum Moderator

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:26 pm

I'm looking for similar options.

Take lanes for audio are great, but the different automation performances that go with the audio are just as important to me. Anyone have suggestions on how to do multiple "takes" and keep the automation for each, then pick my favorite? ("automation comping?")

I have typically perform with 12 tracks at a time (volumes, sends, device effects, etc).

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:55 am

disarm automation arm button, then you can record audio or midi without affection automation lanes.

And be sure clicking automation lock button to activate it