Inserting Silence Screws Up My Project

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luckykat

Inserting Silence Screws Up My Project

Post by luckykat » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:34 am

I often get to a point in a mix where I suddenly realize I need to add silence or an intro. When I select "Insert Silence", it makes my whole track out of sync. I have done this on multiple projects & it can quickly lead to anxiety as you try to adjust the entire project. Does anyone know why inserting silence at the beginning makes the track go out of sync? How can I do this where the track stays in time?

Shift Gorden

Re: Inserting Silence Screws Up My Project

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:48 pm

I don’t know the answer, mate, but I have had some odd timing issues when using insert silence, I haven’t figured it out. Sometimes the ends of my midi clips are slightly truncated which causes timing issues.

I’m sure I’m doing something silly, but I just wanted to chime in and let you know you’re not alone!

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:48 pm
I don’t know the answer, mate, but I have had some odd timing issues when using insert silence, I haven’t figured it out. Sometimes the ends of my midi clips are slightly truncated which causes timing issues.

I’m sure I’m doing something silly, but I just wanted to chime in and let you know you’re not alone!
Cool man! Appreciate it. Electronic music production can be the loneliest game at times. I found that the LFO that was on the bass to give space to the kick was totally ineffective after the silence was inserted. When I hit undo, it synced up again. I've noticed so many bugs on Live 11 so I wonder if this is another one. Feel free to connect with me btw (links in signature)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:03 pm

I assume you are inserting silence in arrange mode?

I frequently do it, but never had a problem.

What sort of timing issue?

Can you post an example?

WildWillyBill

Post by WildWillyBill » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:31 am

**WORKAROUND: I stopped inserting silence. Too many headaches. Instead, when I'm ready to export, I resample the Master so I get 1 audio track. Just make sure that recorded track is shifted to the right a bit, so that there's some silence to the left of the clip. And then export that 1 audio track. ....This way you're not moving anything around except for that 1 audio clip.

**ORIGINAL POST: 100% Agreed. If they added a checkbox in the Export window that added maybe 0.25s of silence, that would solve the issue of truncated exports. Anytime I export a WAV file with something beginning at the very beginning, I run into this exact same issue. The WAV file has a fade-in or whatever that doesn't hit right (the MP3 export actually has a bit of silence at the beginning to avoid it).

And YES! The LFOs need a manual start trigger option. Because many LFO effects you NEED the LFO to start at EXACTLY the same time..... and even if you have it synced to the beat it changes each time you open the project (my Shifter LFO even changes starting points depending on how many times I hit "stop" before hitting play).

And adding silence to the beginning messes with LFOs, delays, etc, etc. Very annoying.