Inner/Robotic Type Voice Effect??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
H20nly

Inner/Robotic Type Voice Effect??

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 am

I have a track that we're working on where I want to do a inner voice or alter ego type effect on one of the verses. Good side vs. bad side...

I've never tried to do this and thought it would be super easy... but I'm not liking the results I'm getting. Anyone have any tips to share?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by H20nly on Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Inner/Robotic Type Voice Effect??

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 pm

What did you try, and why do you think this doesn't work?
Ableton Forum Moderator

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:18 pm

H20nly wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 am
I have a track that we're working on where I want to do a inner voice or alter ego type effect on one of the verses. Good side vs. bad side...

I've never tried to do this and thought it would be super easy... but I'm not liking the results I'm getting. Anyone have any tips to share?

Thanks in advance
Waves Ovox or iZotope VocalSynth 2 might be worth a try if you want a strong vocoder style bad guy result. e.g. Sauron's voice ;-)

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Ken Nordine was a master of the inner voice, although it's not really "robotic". Listen to "Think a Thought"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-cJxIoTfcs

It's basically a band-limited, almost telephone voice with the lows and highs filtered out. If that's what you're going for, try a bandpass filter with the low limit somewhere around 300 Hz and the high limit around 3000 Hz.

Hope this helps.
--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:01 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 pm
What did you try, and why do you think this doesn't work?
I tried the built in Vocoder and just thought it sounded tinny. Like I added an effect, not in the sense that it was an inner voice… just a voice with a crappy effect on it

To be clear. I don’t mean to blame the Vocoder… just my results with it
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:04 am

AbletonMASCHINE wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:18 pm

Waves Ovox or iZotope VocalSynth 2 might be worth a try if you want a strong vocoder style bad guy result. e.g. Sauron's voice ;-)
Thats exactly what I want. I’ll see if I have VocalSynth in my iZotope plugins and tinker if I do. I definitely don’t have anything in Waves

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:08 am

ObtuseMoose wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:59 pm
Ken Nordine was a master of the inner voice, although it's not really "robotic". Listen to "Think a Thought"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-cJxIoTfcs

It's basically a band-limited, almost telephone voice with the lows and highs filtered out. If that's what you're going for, try a bandpass filter with the low limit somewhere around 300 Hz and the high limit around 3000 Hz.

Hope this helps.
--
Moose
Yes!! That! The telephone-ish thing. That’s what I’m looking for… Good example. I’ll try what you suggested. Thanks!!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:36 am

ObtuseMoose wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:59 pm
try a bandpass filter with the low limit somewhere around 300 Hz and the high limit around 3000 Hz.

Hope this helps.
--
Moose
you da man.
I slapped Bandpass Spinner from the Auto Filter folder in Suite. It's pretty much what I wanted before a single parameter change. Even has an auto-pan going on, which is one of the things I tried independently.

not sure why I was so stuck. thanks for the leg up. back on track...