Why can't I hear my plugins effects live while recording?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
surgeanthem

Why can't I hear my plugins effects live while recording?

Post by surgeanthem » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Hello!
My friend is a better singer when he can hear himself and the reverb on the track, but whenever I put reverb on the vocal track so he can hear himself when we record, nothing comes through! You can't hear the effects!
What on earth is going on?

Mark Williams

Re: Why can't I hear my plugins effects live while recording?

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:22 pm

Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

surgeanthem

Post by surgeanthem » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:09 pm

"
- Provide some details about your computer system, audio interface, what version of Live you are using, what OS, etc."

Okay, I didn't know it mattered (am I supposed to?), but I am using Komplete audio 2 interface, live 11, OS Mojave (no I cannot update it, I tried) and, etc?

Some details? What specifically?

When not even ableton can be clear on what they want from us newbies who are just confused by the utterly complex and often disheartening process, you know the system is fucked.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:03 pm

surgeanthem wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:09 pm
"
- Provide some details about your computer system, audio interface, what version of Live you are using, what OS, etc."

Okay, I didn't know it mattered (am I supposed to?), but I am using Komplete audio 2 interface, live 11, OS Mojave (no I cannot update it, I tried) and, etc?

When not even ableton can be clear on what they want from us newbies who are just confused by the utterly complex and often disheartening process, you know the system is fucked.
Lets put this into perspective, YOU asked for help, but yet failed to provide anything to go on, and yes those details do matter, and with your attitude, your gonna find anyone helping you now, pretty remote. As the saying goes, 'you cant help those that wont help themselves'. Im out.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:24 pm

surgeanthem wrote:

More details like:

- a screen shot of the Ableton Live mixer settings on the track you are trying to record and the Master track
- or at least a description as to what all the mixer / Monitor settings are set to on the track you are trying to record and the Master track

For most of us it works perfectly, so just saying it doesn't work for you doesn't really help to diagnose the problem :wink:
surgeanthem wrote: ... whenever I put reverb on the vocal track so he can hear himself when we record, nothing comes through!
Nothing come through... as in you cannot hear the Reverb? When,
- before you record?
- during recording?
- after recording?

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:30 pm

In addition to the questions here, how are you monitoring the vocal? Like Da Hand said, screenshots would be awesome.

Also, does your audio interface have direct monitoring? You might be hearing the raw output from the interface, as opposed to it being routed through Ableton's audio mixer.

By the way, this is a community-supported forum, so we (for the most part) ain't Ableton. We're just folks trying to help folks.

surgeanthem

Post by surgeanthem » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:06 am

Da hand wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:24 pm
surgeanthem wrote:

More details like:

- a screen shot of the Ableton Live mixer settings on the track you are trying to record and the Master track
- or at least a description as to what all the mixer / Monitor settings are set to on the track you are trying to record and the Master track

For most of us it works perfectly, so just saying it doesn't work for you doesn't really help to diagnose the problem :wink:
surgeanthem wrote: ... whenever I put reverb on the vocal track so he can hear himself when we record, nothing comes through!
Nothing come through... as in you cannot hear the Reverb? When,
- before you record?
- during recording?
- after recording?
Oh, I said "Live" in the title- and I think as well in the body of text, if I am not mistaken.
Like to peruse forums whilst high as well, I presume? :mrgreen:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:31 am

The issue we have these days is every kid with a computer thinks they can just bypass all that technical mumbo jumbo and fandangle learning and $h!t and just lay down some cool tracks without any real knowledge and then are confused why anyone would need to know any info about a problem they would have.
surgeanthem wrote:
Okay, I didn't know it mattered (am I supposed to?)
Uh, yeah. Kind of a skill you learn in school on how to relay enough information to a person so they can understand your problem.

If I call a garage and say on the phone "Mate, I cant start this car here, it's fucked mate. What do I do..." Prob first question he would ask is "What car do you have?". So first we would need to know what OS as a starter, then what Audio interface you have because yes, these things matter as these things differ in how you can setup monitoring via the audio interface (low latency, no ability to add effects) or if you try and do it via software (with increased latency but ability to add effects). Pros/Cons to both methods.
surgeanthem wrote:
Dude, you litterally highlighted this:
"- Provide some details about your computer system, audio interface, what version of Live you are using, what OS, etc."

And then still ask what is needed. The system isn't what's fucked.

What you are playing with is not really targeted at "newbies" who don't have any clue at all, you probably need to first watch some tutorials on how to use basic audio interfaces,, read up on basic recording workflow techniques and methods and the difference between live low latency recording and processed monitoring. This isn't just plug and play Fischer Price stuff, this is pro audio stuff so it needs a little level of "pro" to get going and some self-help or paid training (most of us have done these things to know what we are doing) will be needed on your end. If you don't learn the ABCs first you will certainly be struggling at every turn especially if you cannot recognise the need to detail your problem with sufficient details, gonna make it hard for people to help too.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:47 am

Got direct hardware monitoring on? If so that'd explain it. What you got all the internal Live monitoring set to and what's your interface's mixer settings? I can make guesses, but need more info, else that's all they are...

surgeanthem

Post by surgeanthem » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 pm

""- Provide some details about your computer system"
Probably because they didn't even tell me WHICH details or about WHAT? Something I already complained about?

Yeah. It's fucked.

When ableton support won't help and the forums can't help but be condescending, you know it.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:19 pm

surgeanthem wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 pm
""- Provide some details about your computer system"
Probably because they didn't even tell me WHICH details or about WHAT? Something I already complained about?

Yeah. It's fucked.

When ableton support won't help and the forums can't help but be condescending, you know it.
Try looking at your own attitude first, before blaming everyone else.

No one will help inless they know what they are looking for, you give nothing to go on, except to blame everyone and everything else.
As the saying goes "the devils in the details"

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:27 pm

I'm out. Nothing but shit-talk from the OP, not a single acknowledgment of the fact several folks have reached out to help.

I just don't understand some people.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:47 pm

surgeanthem wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:26 pm
Hello!
My friend is a better singer when he can hear himself and the reverb on the track, but whenever I put reverb on the vocal track so he can hear himself when we record, nothing comes through! You can't hear the effects!
What on earth is going on?
Short answer: You are doing something wrong.
Longer answer: We can put reverb on a vocal track that a singer can hear when we record so you are doing something wrong with the software and/or your audio interface. The software/system is not fucked, your audio interface is unlikely to be, your attitude certainly is. And now, because of your attitude, so are you. It's not our fault you can't do it, it's yours. Learn the basics of Ableton from the manual or YT, do the same for your interface and you will find out what you're doing wrong. It could be a number of different things and people on here were wanting to help but unless you find someone who gives a shit despite your attitude you'll have to figure it out for yourself now.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:55 pm

Let's keep it civil as always folks. If someone doesn't want to provide the info needed to help them, then just move on please.
Ableton Forum Administrator

surgeanthem

Post by surgeanthem » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:04 am

I'm sorry, in addition to being condescending, they wouldn't tell me what kind of information they wanted from me, and neither did ableton, though I asked multiple people multiple times.