Restarting MacOS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mercury007

Restarting MacOS

Post by mercury007 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:45 pm

I use Mojave and Ableton Live 11 - updated to the most recent non-beta version - and have noticed with both 10 & 11 that I always have to restart my iMac Pro to get it to work. If my desktop has been opened for the day, I cannot get it to work without restarting.

Now it's not a major issue but anyone have an understanding of why this happens?

Specifically, I can get it to open, but it is very slow & then when I hit the play button nothing happens. I am using an aggregate device.

jestermgee

Re: Restarting MacOS

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:34 pm

mercury007 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:45 pm
I am using an aggregate device.
Try without this.

The issue with an aggregate audio device is it is not a "true" audio device, it's an emulation using multiple hardware devices so there can sometimes be issues with reliability. Test without it and if it still fails then that isn't the issue

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Thanks! I am ok with just restarting btw if it comes to that.

One of the issues at this stage is with all of the new hardware devices going to USB Audio/MIDI, for ex, Roland Boutiques & Elektrons, it seems to be a standard format.

Combine that with USB hubs & it seems like over time larger proportions of producers are essentially out of "conformance".

Hopeful that the next generation of M1 Apple devices may cause an across-the-board update for most manufacturers, hopefully solving these problems.

Also, you are right, it is a clunky solution & it doesn't even allow me to save the config. I restart & have to create the aggregate device every time I reboot bc the Roland & Elektron devices seem to not really come back on until I uncheck & re-check the devices.

Anyways thanks for your comment @jestermgee, you are always helping people out on here & am thankful for that!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:58 pm

It's worth a test anyway to just see if it is the case.

I don't use macOS too much but know a bit about issues, on Windows there can be a similar issue with ASIO drivers if I happen to have any application crash or if I just put the system to sleep/hibernate when a program is using ASIO drivers the drivers become unresponsive and a full system restart is needed. Luckily in my case, only ASIO driver stops but windows WASAPI audio will still function so normal system sounds will work just ASIO audio cannot be connected. Solution is to not use sleep/hibernation but when an application crashes there is no solution.

It's good to know what the issue is so you can work to avoid it. When you don't know it makes things harder to manage.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:06 pm

wise words, thx!

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:33 pm

To avoid this all on my i7-7700 Win10 PC, I disabled all thing "sleep", "hybernate" etc. This PC is music only, and runs nothing else then DAW's (Mostly used Ableton Live 10 Suite and Reason 11 Suite).

I do not know about how Mac OS reacts on these things though, as the last Apple Computer I used for music ran the classic Mac OS 9 8O .

It is however no secret that a certain amount of knowledge of your OS is needed to run things smoothly........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:07 am

I also run into challenges with Aggregate Devices (but which I need for the USB audio inputs). If I'm diligent about the order I do things it seems ok:

1. Turn on interface and devices
2. Turn on Mac
3. Check AD in the audio/midi setup
4. Open Live and set preferences

If I'm going to disconnect from the interface I now change the Live preferences to No input/Headphones before unplugging the USB. The problems mainly seem to come when the Mac thinks it has access to the AD when it doesn't.

I'd rather not use one but having 6 extra inputs is a price I'll have to pay at the mo.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:49 pm

What I tend to do is leave everything on all the time basically & when I restart my Mac, I have to turn off and back on 2 devices - Elektron A4 & Digitone (Rytm seems to always show up). That then makes those 2 show up in my list.

Then I uncheck SH-01A, JU-06A, and TB-03 boutiques as they are greyed out & then re-check them.

Then I reorder everything back to the right order. Then check on for drift protection for everything except my main audio device.

Btw, I figured out my problem - I had a new hard drive connected to my Mac which has 1T of songs on it - by disconnecting it, everything is now fine. Ideally I could keep it connected but maybe there is some background indexing going on?

Note - although I originally tried to have it in my Places section, I removed it due to these issues a while ago. Yet, I forgot that it was still hooked up to my Mac. Am a little surprised that is doing it though bc it is not in my Places in Live, so not sure how or what is happening in the background. From prior experience, I am aware that adding stuff to Places can be risky as it can index forever...but never knew this extends to things that are just connected to the desktop without even being added to Places.

Anyone else ever have this problem?