Intel or AMD for Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
romariozen

Intel or AMD for Ableton?

Post by romariozen » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:05 am

What would you recommend? A lot of cores or the core speed? I guess Ableton will win from having 12 cores of AMD 5950x new processor

jestermgee

Re: Intel or AMD for Ableton?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:08 pm

Answer to these questions is pretty much always the same.... depends.

Depends very much on how you prefer to work because just like CPUs, there are strengths and weaknesses in both choices.

To start with Intel/AMD = Does not matter. There was once a time when actual floating point units were a consideration into what was reliable and what was not for some tasks but now it is whatever you prefer or can afford. I am still an Intel user myself, I know and trust what it is and can do so I use it.

More cores may allow you to have more overall tracks but with a reduced amount of dedicated power for each track. CPU/Thread is assigned track by track so if you are one that has over bloated 200 track sets but uses these tracks to play small pieces of sounds and not all at once then more cores will probably be better.

If you tend to use fewer tracks but like using heavy synths and lots of effects then less cores with more power would be better.

If you like to also Game, then you would have to look into what is also best suited there.

If you use other applications such as video edit, photo etc then you may want to check out what is recommended for that too.

The reason different options even exist is because there are different applications, otherwise if one eas best at it all that is all you would need.

jlgrimes

Re: Intel or AMD for Ableton?

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:42 am

romariozen wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:05 am
What would you recommend? A lot of cores or the core speed? I guess Ableton will win from having 12 cores of AMD 5950x new processor
If planning on using many CPU hungry plugins at low lantecies, great single core performance. (Plenty of modern VSTis)

If using a bunch of low to medium CPU heavy plugins, or you don't require low latency, great multi core performance. (Audio mixing, mastering).

I'd personally probably stray on the good single core performance side as most CPUs with good single core performance these days are like 8-12 cores anyways.

Either would get job done in the end though, but I would look at sites like CPUbenchmark.com to get an idea on how well your chip stack up and what kind of performance increase to expect from an upgrade.

That said if you know what your goals are you can probably save money or keep from buying the wrong chip as many people will buy a CPU with the most cores and wonder why only one or two CPU hungry plugins brings it to it's knees.