Ableton Live as a guitar effects processor.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
davy

Ableton Live as a guitar effects processor.

Post by davy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:26 pm

A friend of mine wants to buy some guitar effect boxes or so, but I showed him live last week and he was impressed by the ease of use of it as a looping tool, daw,... So he's considering buying it.

He only wants to know about some good guitar effects to use with live before he decides anything. Maybe someone can share his live devices he uses on guitar? Or do you guys know about some nice free plugins. I know about the guitar rig etc. but those aren't cheap.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Those device chains are pretty flexible. You can get some screaming sounds out of that.
I wouldn't say it sounds better then a guitar amp (emulation).
But you can get some fine results.
And he could always save chains he made with freeware plugins as liveclips to load the effect chain later....

Cant recommend any plugins though. I'm mostly using Live's effect devices these days.

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 pm

Download the free Gsuite plug-ins, there are a couple very nice amp sims in there, it's one of the best, if not the best free amp sims avaialble.

davy

Post by davy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:51 pm

Yeah I know it's possible :) I was always using vst's but since I have live I'm using the live devices a lot. But my stuff is just having fun with effects. He wants the standard conventional stuff. That's why I am asking more advice over here :) I have to give him some examples first. He doesn't know squad about effect building etc.

jajja

Post by jajja » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:44 pm

Amplitube UNO is free and offers good basic electric guitar sounds.

braj

Post by braj » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:00 pm

I gave up on VST amp sims and now just use an amp to get my basic tone, and Live's effects do a good job after that IMO.

Nod

Post by Nod » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:19 am

Just thought I'd mention this for anyone who doesn't know:

If you download the excellent SIR from http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html you can process, or 'convolve', your guitar recordings in many interesting ways inside Live using the files from www.noisevault.com. Though I generally use hardware for the front end of the guitar tone ie: preamp, power amp this leaves me with a lot of flexibility as regards shaping the final sound. The files at Noisevault are 'impulse resposes', in essence a sample of a piece of gear, and include such goodies as the following:

Cabinets:
All the POD XT cab models, All the Vox Tonelab models, Real gear including Ampeg SVT, Eden, Fender '68 Vibrolux, Super Champ, Bassman Marshall Plexi, JCM2000, Matchless Chieftan, Mesa's, Princetons, Sidewinders and Vetta's.

There's also, from a more general recording perspective, loads of great impulses from the likes of Lexicon (fancy having PCM90's inside Live?), Neve, API, SSL, Urei, Studer, Manley, Eventide, TC Electronics etc. Even those not remotely interested in guitar stuff should check this out - I'll even process vocals, drums and synths through all this to make it sound more organic.

Hope this helps someone...

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:03 pm

http://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/

or this
a free convolution based ampsim

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:22 pm

Native Instrumnets guitar rig.
that is all.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

kanuck

Re:

Post by kanuck » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Those device chains are pretty flexible. You can get some screaming sounds out of that.
And he could always save chains he made with freeware plugins as liveclips to load the effect chain later....

Cant recommend any plugins though. I'm mostly using Live's effect devices these days.
reviving this thread because I was curious about this.

what do you mean by saving effects chains by clips? Thanks.

hoffman2k

Re: Re:

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 am

kanuck wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Those device chains are pretty flexible. You can get some screaming sounds out of that.

reviving this thread because I was curious about this.

what do you mean by saving effects chains by clips? Thanks.
That you can save effect setting in a clip. That is called a Live Clip.
But now it would make sense to Save in a Rack. 6 years ago we didn't have Racks.