live 11 on stage: switching sounds of virtual instruments

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
barnybe

live 11 on stage: switching sounds of virtual instruments

Post by barnybe » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:29 am

Hi, I´m new with ableton. Have live 11 lite version together with Roli Blocks (seaboard, lightpad, loop-block).

I managed to get Equator to sound in Session-View. Also Studio Player (on a different midi track). I managed to use loop-block (midi-mapped) to arm either Equator or Studio Player, thus switching between 2 sounds by just pressing a button.

Probably I´m not aware how to use live-11 well. Question is: how can I switch on the fly (by pressing a midi-button) to another sound of Equator or Studio-Player? I would be happy to have some 20 sounds with "easy access".
Use case: performing on a stage and like to select several sounds with just a button press (like on a physical keyboard).

Any tutorial for that around? What is the key to do that?

Question2: I´m not yet using scenes; to me it looks as if scenes are only for recording purpose, right?

Any help is very appreciated, Barny

Greenapples2019

Re: live 11 on stage: switching sounds of virtual instruments

Post by Greenapples2019 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:01 pm

Hey Barny, and welcome. What you're after is very possible, check out YT videos about the Chain Selector - it allows you to have different sounds on one track and to switch between them using a MIDI controller or dummy clips. I'd also recommend investing some time in Session view - it's slightly less intuitive than arrangement but will probably suit your live playing needs more. Again, have a look at how people on YT are using session view for live performance.

Cheers
D

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:45 pm

What Greenapples said.
But you probably also want to have a look at Program Changes midi messages: these are used internally in many soft synths to switch their built-in presets. Live Clips can send Program Changes, you can also do it from M4L (which isn't an option for you if you have Live lite, but just FYI) or from any midi controller.
Ableton Forum Moderator

barnybe

Post by barnybe » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:01 am

Thanks for the good help. Searched for chain selector and found a very nice video from Andri Søren; 25minutes; very good and even for a beginner!! Thanks for that.
As I try to switch the chain from my roli loop block i have a little hassle with the different type of roli-switch-modes; The loop block itself has rubber-keys, press to send; internally these keys can emulate:
toggle: e.g.for play and record functions inside ableton
Pulse
Gate
trigger
cycle
increment/decrement
As I´m a bit lost how to make these messages visible (just to check that the intended message was sent) I wonder if ablenton has a built in midi-monitor (messages over time)?
Second question is about increment/decrement: seems like Roli uses plus/minus keys in CC-Mode to adjust e.g. volume; can I use these kind of switches to step through my rack-sounds? Probably I need to click the "midi-out" in Ableton on, right?
Thanks a lot for helping,
Barny

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:27 pm

program change is the easy answer if your vst supports it. If you have physical buttons on a midi controller you can probably assign them.
or as suggested write a scene with the change and use only one button/key to launch the next one with the dedicated live function (next scene). allows you to also change any parameter you want and make a nice set list with only one button to remember.