Encoder speed in third-party controllers

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
baseinstinct

Encoder speed in third-party controllers

Post by baseinstinct » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:01 am

Is there a way to make encoders working via midi remote scripts change values quickly? I know you can do this with midi assigned to encoders but that is very limiting).

If you look at demos on youtube, all the third-party controllers connected via control surface happen to have encoders set to micromovements - you can't just turn the volume from 0 to max in one turn but maybe in 5 (think of winding a mechanical alarm clock).

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Encoder speed in third-party controllers

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:55 pm

Not something you can do in Live.
It's maybe possible to change this in the control surface script, but don't quote me on this, that's just a guess. (that's not an option with user remote scripts, though).
What's your controller? If it has a midi editor that's where you should look at.
An option would be to first pass through Max or Bome or similar, and design a patch that would be placed between you controller and Live.
Ableton Forum Moderator

baseinstinct

Re: Encoder speed in third-party controllers

Post by baseinstinct » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Turns out Novation Impulse has it sorted very smartly: fast turn - across the scale, slow turn - fine-tuning. I am looking for a good controller. Atom looks cool but knobs can't control ableton encoders (only volume, pan and sends) and have this fine-tuning issue. Bome could do the trick, indeed. Thanks.