Win 11 Ableton 11.1 Intel 12th gen Vst’s not loading SOLVED

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gregory Wells-King

Win 11 Ableton 11.1 Intel 12th gen Vst’s not loading SOLVED

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi Everyone

Just a post to help, those of you who may have recently upgraded from Win 10 - Win 11, And possibly upgraded hardware to Intel 12th gen, whom maybe experiencing problems with VST not loading, I have found that the Hdpi setting needs to be set to off, where previously it didn’t matter, it now might…

I discovered this after upgrading this week, I don’t know if it’s something to do with Windows 11 or 12th gen architecture or both, but after a few hours scratching around on the SSD 🤨 I found this to be the solution.

No doubt some of you would have discovered it quickly, for me it’s worth sharing, as the upgrades are now on the table.

Oh for the record, previous to this, I was floating a Z270 board on i5 6th Gen Intel, running win 10 and Live 11, upgrades always make you bite the lip, but actually things are running very well on them latest architecture.

Gregory Wells-King

Re: Win 11 Ableton 11.1 Intel 12th gen Vst’s not loading SOLVED

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:19 am

So, Initially the above solution seemed to work, but since it reverted back to having the same issues.

After about 3 days of trawling the internet and applying some logic I think I have found some more solutions.

The break down is here.

1, swapped to motherboard graphics to see if any improvement, and hey presto it works, thus I realised the issue was not with the graphics card so to speak, but in the way Ableton is using it. as explained before other programs were loading the vst's with no issue.

2, went back to GPU on graphics card, opened Nvidia settings and selected CPU for Physics X, resulted in some vst's loading but not all.

3, went back to Nvidia settings, selected GPU for Physics X and selected 'Triple buffering' for OpenGL applications. (this was prompted by a previous thread about OpenGL applications use in Ableton Live) and hey presto, were back in business.

I don't know the bigger picture of how this may affect other applications, but it's put me back in the game for now, so that's good enough.

Perhaps some clever folks out there can shed light on what's going on.

I opened a ticket with support,, if they see this perhaps they could shed light on what's going on here.

Gregory Wells-King

Re: Win 11 Ableton 11.1 Intel 12th gen Vst’s not loading SOLVED

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:56 am

This is like bad company that won't go away. :roll:

So I've been trying to work through this problem all week and it's come back.

I logged a ticket with Ableton support . Thankyou team, but all my working 64bit Vst's are in the right place, No 32bit Vst's in the wrong place. and the problem still persists.

The problem is with using two monitors. Primary monitor OK with everything, 2nd monitor can't load the GUI of the VST and crashes live. I know this because I have opened instances of live in multiple configurations, left/right screen, 2nd window, 1 window etc.

But the rub here is that I have tried other graphics cards all with latest driver support and now, I'm using the boards graphics cards with a display port - HDMI adapter for second monitor and HDMI for the primary monitor, and the problem still persists.

I've never had an issue like this but it's killing me.

Who said upgrading is a simple issue?

Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K 3.61 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎06/‎02/‎2022
OS build 22000.527
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.527.0

Any thoughts? coz I'm out of them.