Help with Installing Plug-ins: Ableton Live 11.0 Lite

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
StevePostPunk

Help with Installing Plug-ins: Ableton Live 11.0 Lite

Post by StevePostPunk » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:31 pm

I am running Ableton Live 11.0 Lite on Windows 10 and have been experiencing crashes upon loading certain songs. It appears that the most likely cause is an "Amplitube" .dll file that somehow ended up in one of my VST3 directories. Amplitube is an IK Multimedia amp simulation plug-in. I understand that .dll files are VST2 plug in files and that having a .dll file in a VST3 directory can caused problems. My plugins got messed up following my attempt to copy them from an external hard drive back up following a Windows 10 reinstall.

I need to uninstall Amplitube, and am trying to find out from IK multimedia how to do it. In the meantime, my plug in files seem like a mess, and I need to figure out how to straighten them out. Here is what I have:

a. A “VST3Presets” file under “Program Data” which includes free plugins that came with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface. They are compressor and EQ plug ins.

b. A "VSTPlugins" file under “Program Files>Steinberg>VSTPlugins.” This includes dll files for the foregoing Focusrite plugins and .dll files for SampleTank4 and Syntronik 2, which I bought from IK Multimedia along with Amplitube.

c. A "VST3" file in “Program Files>Common Files>VST3. This includes .VST3 files for Amplitube, MODO BASS, MODO Drums, SYntronik 2, SampleTank4 and some other “Softtube” plugins that were bundled with my Scalrett 2i2. There is an Amplitube .dll file in here. I understood that “.dll” files were VST2 Plugins. I don’t know how it got there or if it should be there. There are also files related to each VST3 file sin an extension that includes “VST3-XXXXXX” where the Xs are alphanumeric sequences.

d. A "VSTPlugin" file in “Program Files (x86)>Steinberg>VSTPlugins” which includes .dll files for MODO BASS, MODO Drum, the foregoing two Focusrite plugins and for “Gsnap” which is a free autotune plugin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.