Trigger automation with external midi cc

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Raytronic

Trigger automation with external midi cc

Post by Raytronic » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:16 am

I am looking for a way to automate a volume slider or a send encoder, so that when I trigger it with a midi control change, it moves from value 0 to 127 at a certain speed and stops there. I have tried several LFO's, envelop followers, but they all keep looping, so it never stays at the desired level. I am not looking for clip automation to do this. It has to be controlled with an external midi trigger, so it is also track independent. I know there is a m4live plug that is called FADE, which does this only for volume and I have to set this up on each track. But I like to set this up for all kinds of automation, for instance a reverb dry/wet that is sitting on a return track. So I only trigger it, and it will gradually become dry/wet, in stead of me turning a knob on a midi controller myself. I hope this makes sense. Anybody can point me in the right direction? Greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

maximejerryfraisse

Re: Trigger automation with external midi cc

Post by maximejerryfraisse » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:36 am

Hi @Raytronic,

Do you plan to use it in Session or Arrangement view ?

For me, automation midi or audio clip would be the best choice. [wrong] I see only one limit for this solution : you can't use it with Return Track. [/wrong]

EDIT :
chapelier fou wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 1:21 am

Route the Return track to an audio track and put the effects in the audio track instead of putting them in the return track. This way you can still use the Sends, but automate the FX with dummy clips.
Otherwise, you CAN trig it with external midi controller and it CAN be "track independent" in Session view.
The only thing is to build a (sometimes complex) track routing. You have to isolate on independent tracks each devices you want to automate. For example : one track for midi notes clip (with no automation), one track for a midi effect, one track for the instrument, and one track for an audio effect. (All in the same midi/audio chain.)

Do you understand what I mean ?

Using a M4L device could be an other solution. It could be kind of a "Midi triggered enveloppe". But you'll have to map the targeted button, and (if I'm not wrong) won't be able to handle it anymore. For me, that would be a more complex solution.

Hope that could hep you,

Maxime
Last edited by maximejerryfraisse on Sun May 01, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
maximejerryfraisse / what I do = [INSTAGRAM]

Raytronic

Post by Raytronic » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:08 pm

Yes indeed Session View. In understand what you mean. I suppose you are refering to the so called dummy clips. And that works fine for most stuff, but indeed not for send/return. Your suggestion about the chain is not entirely clear to me yet. I have to experiment with that. It seems that just grouping the tracks does not work. I noticed that there is a MIDI Ctrl envelope option on a midi clip. The problem would be also solved, I think, if I could set a channel there. So maybe there is hack to change that somehow. Thanks for your help.

maximejerryfraisse

Post by maximejerryfraisse » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:44 pm

Yep, just grouping the tracks does not work.

Here is an example of a simple ALS with dummy clips : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Do you have Ableton 11 to open it ?
The problem would be also solved, I think, if I could set a channel there.
Sorry I don't get what you mean. Are you talking about midi channel ?

Raytronic

Post by Raytronic » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:43 pm

Yes midi channel. You can't set it to a custom channel. Live only allows these CC for devices in the current track if I am correct.

maximejerryfraisse

Post by maximejerryfraisse » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:53 pm

Yes I think that's correct.

But I though you were looking for triggering midi / audio clips rather than sending midi data from those midi clips. If you want to trigger a midi or audio clip, you just have to use Midi Map Mode.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun May 01, 2022 1:21 am

Use a combination of dummy clips and track routing.
Route the Return track to an audio track and put the effects in the audio track instead of putting them in the return track. This way you can still use the Sends, but automate the FX with dummy clips.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

maximejerryfraisse

Post by maximejerryfraisse » Sun May 01, 2022 6:55 am

chapelier fou wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 1:21 am

Such a good idea !