Optimizing Ableton To Avoid CPU Spikes While Livestreaming

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luckykat

Optimizing Ableton To Avoid CPU Spikes While Livestreaming

Post by luckykat » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:17 am

Been using Live 11 for about a year now with current setup:
32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, i9 processor.

Just started livestreaming on Twitch & things are pretty stable when there are only a few tracks & plugins being used.
However, when I start using multiple instances of plugins and especially when I use izotope ozone 9 or Waves H-Series plugins, I get CPU spikes, snap, crackle and pops.

Any suggestions on how to optimize Ableton/PC for livestreaming?
Any software/hardware that allows you to use as many plugins as you like without fearing the CPU tripping the 100% level?

thanks!
:)

DunedinDragon

Re: Optimizing Ableton To Avoid CPU Spikes While Livestreaming

Post by DunedinDragon » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am

What does your performance consist of? We livestream our band every time we play and we use Ableton for our backing tracks and never have a problem regardless of the number of tracks. However, all our backing tracks are flattened to audio tracks ahead of time to reduce the loading and initialization processing of plugins.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:38 am

I would look at your use of Ozone in a live context. It's quite hefty in terms of resource usage and buffering / latency.

What I tend to do is build a cheap Ozone on my master / busses out of Ableton devices, and I make sure to keep latency and resource usage as low as possible. In a live context it's not as important to have all the Ozone bells and whistles on because each song will be different - so its not like you can set and forget Ozone. What you probably have is a hipass on the bass, some multiband EQ / compression, limiting, saturation and a transient punch up of some kind.

So I just rebuild that in Ableton using Glue, EQ8, etc.
I punch up and carve individual busses, so the drums have a DrumBus effect for example.
In a live context I cant rely on presets, so I expose all the buss controls on a control surface

what it looks like broken out on a control surface (very slick and professional! :wink: )

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Yep, you really don't need to use Ozone especially in a livestream context.
Just replace it with native Live devices and you should see a significant improvement.
Ableton Forum Moderator