please help. I think I have lost my all my work

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
martin808

please help. I think I have lost my all my work

Post by martin808 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:12 pm

I think I've made a stupid mistake. I installed the update of Ableton tonight and I had my sets folder in the folder that the software was updated to.
I cant find any of my sets or samples or anything that I had. I'm completely gutted.

Is my data lost or is it still there somewhere?

subparuser

Re: please help. I think I have lost my all my work

Post by subparuser » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:09 am

If you're on Windows, you can hope that a System Restore Point got set when you performed the update - so there's that.

I haven't looked into it, but perhaps there's a way to access the files from wherever Windows keeps stuff for System Restore saving you the hassle of actually stepping back by running SR? That might be easy or impossible - Google will reveal all I suspect.

I'd be surprised if MacOS didn't have some equivalent idiot-resilience-and-management feature running by default if you're on a Mac.

Hope you manage to recover your work.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:31 am

do you have a backup of your computer?

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:48 pm

I'm sure it can be recovered. If not by you, by a professional at least. But don't use your computer too much in the meantime, because every new save/overwrite will make it more difficult.

My Mac disk got broken last year, but with professional help I got all my Project files back. My sound library got lost, but most of the sounds were still available on ableton.com.

Now I use Apple TimeMachine on a separate disk, and I also pay for 100 GB iCloud every month. It $10 or something, but it's so worth it now.

Good luck :)