Midi Logical Edit

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
xuoham

Midi Logical Edit

Post by xuoham » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:45 pm

I use and love Live since 2003, v2, pre-midi, but now that it is the fantastic giant that it is now, i still don't understand why midi editing is so archaic.

Especially, i would really love a logical editor
In 1987 i was using an Atari and Pro 24, it had one already, and i remember being blown away by it.

Also some simple thing like selecting a few notes and transposing them... i never could find a transpose function, always had to use the up down arrows, which works, but is a bit tedious if you want to transpose 37 semitones, lol.
Not very Ableton-like workflow ...

blindaenar

Re: Midi Logical Edit

Post by blindaenar » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:25 pm

+1

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm

Just making sure you know that holding shift while transposing moves them by octaves.

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 pm

Yes, thanks, i know, my 37 semitones example was not very good.

In a logical editor you can do stuff like "select all notes longer than a 16th note and raise their velocity by 15".

That would be a better example.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:16 pm

;-) I figured. I used to use that stuff all the time in Cubase. Not downvoting this though. As long as it's out of the way.

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:17 am

Bumpationalitically bumping ... why no such feature for midi ?? If 1987 pro 24 could do it, 2022 Abes could, no ?

No will at all ??

Or i just missed that there is a M4L logical editor by a nice and smart developer ??

Still puzzled by this ....

... and honestly, though a hardcore Ableton Live lover since 2003, seeing the "40% off right now" on the Cubase adverts tickles
something into my G.A.S. :idea:

I know we're in an era of instant gratification at the push of a button, and also,
generative soundscapes are a marvelous thing,
but sometimes you need to do some serious, long and repetitive midi editing ...

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:01 am

I just don't think it's appealing artistically. I once used stuff like this, now I don't as I think it's more musical done visually. And of course--not available in Live.

But there are some things you can now do. Like grab all the notes at a certain level, then type in the velocity, then use random to vary them a bit. Seems as if they're sort of, kind of, headed partially that way in typical Ableton fashion.

What I do kind of wish is that you could select ranges of velocities by dragging along side the grid, rather than having to lasso them. Like you can select notes using the piano. That would help quite bit with selecting ranges.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:15 am

xuoham wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:45 pm
i never could find a transpose function, always had to use the up down arrows, which works, but is a bit tedious if you want to transpose 37 semitones, lol.
You can use Shift+Up/Down to transpose whole octaves.

EDIT: Oops, jonljacobi already mentioned this, my bad. At least OP wanted a thread bump anyways.
♥♥♥