How to A/B a mixdown

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
subduct

How to A/B a mixdown

Post by subduct » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:29 pm

Is there a quick way to A/B a mixed down project with prior unmixed one?
Does that need a version of the project making or is there a function or combination of features that can do this quickly?
Couldn't find anything on this in the manual but maybe using the wrong search terms

Angstrom

Re: How to A/B a mixdown

Post by Angstrom » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:21 am

Well I do this with a whole project against a render. I load the. Finalmixdown002.wav in and assign it to Lives crossfader position B. Then I assign all the other tracks to A. I assign keys to A and B and flip between the two. You may need to set the rendered out to bypass the master channel and go straight to the interface outs. Or not, it depends what you are doing. Its a hacky but flexible system. Good for copying a bassline or drums off someone elses track too😉

subduct

Post by subduct » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:08 am

Thanks, I'll give that a try! I had forgotten about that little crossfader in the bottom corner...

fabiospark

Post by fabiospark » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:47 pm

I do something similar but maybe quicker to setup.
I render the unmixed before I start mixing or even some mixed 1, 2, etc if I want to save different mixing stages, and put it in a "before" track.
All the tracks to be mixed - even the returns, are routed to a premaster track (where I can switch on or off a rack with the mastering chain) so I can simply A/B between the "before" and the "premaster" tracks.
And when I use a reference track, I can easily do the same between the "premaster" and the "reference" very quickly.