seeking installation testers for Scheme for Max (in Live)?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
iainduncan

seeking installation testers for Scheme for Max (in Live)?

Post by iainduncan » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:58 pm

Looking for help:

I am the author of Scheme for Max, a Max external that allows you to embed a Scheme lisp interpreter in Max, and thus in Live. It works very will with Live and I am planning on publishing a whole bunch of demos of this in the next semester - you can use it to build sequencers, algorithmic tools, complex M4L devices, use the Live API, remote control Live from a lisp REPL, etc. It has been under development for two years, and I have tested it now on very complex work in Live and can say it's stable and really opens up doors in Live.

However, prior to releasing the Live-centric videos I would like to make sure the installation story and docs is as good as possible for people who own Max for Live but *not* regular Max. (ie they own Suite, or have purchased Live+Max for Live). If this describes and you would be able to help me ensure I have good installation instructions, please get in touch. (the users I have been in touch with all own standalone Max too).
thanks!

project page is here btw:
https://github.com/iainctduncan/scheme-for-max

videos of the tool in Max here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/musicwithlisp

The (brand new and currently empty) forum is here where you can help me test
schemeformax.discourse.group/

Rivanni

Re: seeking installation testers for Scheme for Max (in Live)?

Post by Rivanni » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:44 pm

but *not* regular Max
Why this requirement?

iainduncan

Post by iainduncan » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:05 am

Hi Rivanni, I would love any help at all testing. The reason I specified that requirement is that I have both Max and Live installed and another friend does too, so I'm able to simulate the installation situation for those users. What I'm concerned about is how things are different for people who don't have a "regular" Max installation with regard to where packages go, externals being properly detected, the file search path, and so on - and I can't easily simulate that without removing Max from my machines.

If you want to help test, it is always welcome and I recently got a discourse forum set up to make it easier for people to do so:
https://schemeformax.discourse.group/t/ ... testers/23
Last edited by iainduncan on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:44 am

I don't know anything about Lisp and don't use Discord and I also have the stand-alone installed (although i have an older pc without it, as some virtual machines.)
Did you consider using a virtual machine yourself? You could create a perfect testing environment.
Not saying you don't need beta testers but you can get an answer to questions and concerns.
And it makes it possible for you to test in Windows.

iainduncan

Post by iainduncan » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:31 am

Hi Rivanni, yes I have a VM for windows testing. But as far as I know this is not possible for Mac and I have my two computer licenses for Live used up on my laptop and desktop. I should see if I can it on another windows VM. However, regular testing is not the issue, I have created regression tests and windows environments etc, the problem is that those don't tell me what other people will get stuck on who don't already know the system.
Last edited by iainduncan on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

iainduncan

Post by iainduncan » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:32 am

Also, I misspoke, I set up a Discourse forum, not discord. Its just a plain old forum like this one... thanks for catching that!