Export Tracks/Stems without FX?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Export Tracks/Stems without FX?

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to export all tracks without FX?

Often we record band stuff and use multiple FX to get the demo tracks to "sound right" and representative of the final mix. But then send them off to a pro for proper mixing/mastering (usually with our rough demo mix to give an idea of the sound/FX/mix ideas we've been going for). So I just want to export all tracks, but dry, as they'll put all their own plugins and outboard gear on everything.

So I can currently save the project as an "exporting" version and go through every track there turning off all the FX individually (or so I don't forget what I used last, grouping them all and turning them off as a group). Then export individual (or selected) tracks. But that's a pain in the arse with lots of tracks. Or alternatively I can go through each track consolidating and renaming everything nicely, then going and finding all those consolidated tracks in the folder they live in and copying them all out individually. Again, a pain in the arse. And sometimes harder to get back to the current state unless I save a " for export" version.

So any quick and easy way to just export all (or selected) tracks of a current project with a simple "all FX off" method?

jonljacobi

Re: Export Tracks/Stems without FX?

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:04 pm

To make it easier, use the -ShowDeviceSlots option in options.txt. It allows you to see all the plug-ins on the mixer so you can turn them off or remove them more quickly.

Also, upvote the suggestions to make this more stable and a regular option at centercode! And add a suggestion for raw stem export.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:32 pm

I’ll give this a go as soon as I get home. I was presuming the answer would be a disappointing “no” as there was clearly nothing in the UI, but I presume adding this to options.txt makes something magically appear! Cheers. 🍻

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:35 pm

Yes it does, but it is a still buggy. The main issue is that the names are not always displayed. You can fix this by changing the width of the track a bit.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:44 pm

There is that, but this is something I use that feature for. I'd much prefer the raw stem export. TBH, I mix in Live, but I quite often send tracks to collaborators.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:08 pm

Well I made an Options.txt and put -ShowDeviceSlots in it, but nothing happens. Still looks the same.

(put in the user/library/prefs../Ableton/Live 11.1.6 folder.)

What am I supposed to see? You mention centercode etc, do I need to be running the latest beta for this?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:24 pm

You must also turn it on inside Live.
See image in this article.

https://resoundsound.com/ableton-live-s ... on-tracks/

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:08 pm

Ah ha! Not sure I saw that last night, but I’ll have a look again tonight.

Would still be nice to have a feature to export all tracks without FX (and as of last night I realised -) without any panning feature. All the mono ones I exported turn into stereo ones. So the nicely names group tracks were a lot of panning happens are useless and the source tracks which aren’t panned end up pointlessly a stereo track. Not that it *really* matters much, but still not a clean solution to just export a consolidated track without FX for each, to make easy stems for people to mix or remix.

Also “export currently selected tracks” does one single file mix of the selected ones doesn’t it, not export all the selected tracks as individual tracks? So if I want to export them all as individual tracks, I have to have every bus and group combination and muted silent track too don’t it.

Anyway, I did one of the songs last night and it was a PITA and took ages sorting through which were the right files and a number of mono tracks now have stereo files. Maybe I should just have butchered my export version of the project more, removed all groups o could do without and/or just consolidated everything instead.

fischer

Post by fischer » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:04 pm

This device has simplified my workflow (12.99 Usd): https://konstantinklem.pro/works/max-fo ... ce-matrix/