How eliminate metronome after recording a track using it

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ntrask

How eliminate metronome after recording a track using it

Post by ntrask » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:27 pm

I want to hear the metronome while I am recording something, but then with playback (and eventually exporting to an MP3 or whatever) I don't want to hear it. Simply greying out the metronome doesn't work, when I do that and hit play, I still hear the metronome. Neither does selecting the option "Enable Only While Recording." I am a total newbie to DAWs, but this must be something lots of people do, and I can't figure it out. I have a Steinberg UR22C digital converter interface if that could make a difference.

NOTE THESE ADDITIONAL FACTS: I think what is happening is that when I am recording something and the metronome is on, the mic is picking up the metronome as it goes in the background. I am playing an acoustic guitar and using a condensor mic (not plugging a guitar directly into my interface).

Tarekith

Re: How eliminate metronome after recording a track using it

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:01 am

Can you play the metronome through some headphones while you record? Once you've recorded it along with the guitar, there's no way to remove that from the recording.

ntrask

Post by ntrask » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:33 am

I could use a metronome from another app on my phone with headphones on, but that seems cludgy. Is there a way to direct the Live metronome to the headphones attached to a digital interface, in my case the Steinberg UR22C?

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:41 am

you should be able to just plug them into the headphone jack on your interface. if you’re able to hear playback through your headphones, you’ll also be able to hear the click when it’s on.

you’ll need to make sure the headphone volume on your interface is turned up (obviously), but just as importantly, make sure the main volume that drives your speakers is all the way down (maybe less obvious).

ntrask

Post by ntrask » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:11 pm

That did it. Just had to turn off the output speakers. Now I can turn off the metronome and it doesn't show up in the recording.

Thank you slow.robot! What a maroon I am. Appreciate the help - it's very hard to find answers to dumb questions that no one else has!

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:56 pm

awesome, glad to hear it helped—we’ve all been there at one time or another. have fun!

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:22 pm

I had this problem too. I didn’t want to wear headphones because they stopped me hearing the guitar. One solution is to wear one ear bud for the metronome. Another idea is to use a max for live visual metronome.