Wet/Dry effects racks, volume dip issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phirewall

Wet/Dry effects racks, volume dip issue

Post by phirewall » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:18 pm

I'm building an effects rack which has macros that change from a dry signal on the left, to 100% wet at the right. The wet signal has tails, meaning with something like a reverb or delay, even if the knob is all the way left, the tail of the effect is heard rather than being cut off.

The problem I'm running into is I believe due to the nature of linear changes in volume. As I move the knob from left to right, there is a volume dip in the middle. In order to make a smooth transition, I ended up using mapul8tor to create a curve on the knob. This would work great accept that mapul8tor doesn't properly initialize the knob values when I load the set, so I have to go through and twist every single knob each time I load it to get the values in the proper place.

Does anyone have an alternate solution that doesn't use mapul8tor?

siliconarc

Re: Wet/Dry effects racks, volume dip issue

Post by siliconarc » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:38 pm

there really should be crossover curves for chain zones by now, but anyway..
in the wet/dry chain zone editor, you can make the crossover louder in the centre by having the fade out start later (at 48) and the fade in end earlier (at 80). here's a pic, much easier to see than explain..

phirewall

Post by phirewall » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:43 am

Thanks, I tried something similar but this approach doesn't allow the effects tails to be heard when I move the knob back to dry. When the knob is all the way to the left (100% dry), I need the effects chain to not be fed any new audio but the effects tails should still be heard.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:43 am

if you want to hear the tail you can set up the wet chain with no fade at all, instead use a utility device (placed pre-effects), its gain mapped to the wet/dry macro (-inf db to 0 db) to create the fade instead.

phirewall

Post by phirewall » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:52 pm

I think I tried every combination of techniques except this one :lol: That's exactly what I needed, much appreciated!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:25 pm

no problem :wink: