disconnected patcher

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
HitemTrue

disconnected patcher

Post by HitemTrue » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:11 pm

Hello,

Somehow I managed to create a duplicate patcher object...I did not know I was in a duplicate. After making several changes and then attempting to use it, it was unresponsive. Then I noticed that the inputs and outputs looked different...they had the letter "i", instead of a "1" and "2". I saved the file, to close it and see if restarting would help. Lo and behold, there was another window behind it, containing the patcher object as it was before I started making all my changes. And it was functioning and responsive.

So what exactly creates the link with parent patch? Is there a way to have another version of the sub-patch, and switch it out? I had to copy all the elements from my "dead" patcher object, and paste into the "living" object and do some reconnecting.

Certainly there is a better way to handle different versions of a subpatch. I've looked through the Max docs on patcher and encapsulation, and can't find the solution.

Thank you.

doubleUG

Re: disconnected patcher

Post by doubleUG » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:04 pm

perhaps "Max Tutorial 15: Abstractions" give you an hint
copy the text, open Live > drag in empty M4L device > open Max editor > paste > save M4L device
https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... ng_patches

https://doubleUG.bandcamp.com/releases

HitemTrue

Re: disconnected patcher

Post by HitemTrue » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:08 pm

doubleUG wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:04 pm
perhaps "Max Tutorial 15: Abstractions" give you an hint
By Robin Parmer? He's got one called "Max Tutorial #1 Abstractions", and he talks about using bpatcher object instead of patcher, because it allows for a file name to be passed in.

Thank you...I'll be giving that a try the next time I work on upgrading that patch.