mapping pitch bend to a midi pedal?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bluskreen

mapping pitch bend to a midi pedal?

Post by bluskreen » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:24 pm

hi everyone - i recently purchased a line 6 FBV EXPRESS MKII which works great so far as a midi foot controller on Mac.

https://line6.com/foot-controllers/fbv-express-mkii/

I want to control pitch bend with the pedal, but I can't seem to figure it out? I tried this with Kontakt 7 and tried to map pitch bend to the pedal but I can't make it work. Pitch bend won't map to anything. My research is telling me that "pitch bend" is not part of the default midi control options and is some kind of separate thing?

Midi learn is working fine, and I'm able to map the pedal to whatever. Mod wheel / expression work fine. But I can't seem to make pitch bend work.

Has anyone tried this or figured out some kind of workaround? Maybe a M4L thing that will do this? I tried the "Expression Control" M4L device but I don't think this is what it's for.

Thanks so much everyone - I haven't been here in a long time. Hope everyone is doing well and have a great new year!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: mapping pitch bend to a midi pedal?

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:35 am

Yep, PB is a bit trickier.
M4L is your friend here. You need a device that takes the input of your foot pedal (midi CC) and that converts it to Pitch Bend.
I don't have any device's name on top of my head, but you should find something on maxforlive.com
Expression Control is not the device you need though.
Ableton Forum Moderator