APC Key 25 mk2 w/ Live 11 not setting up automatically? (Windows)

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
mountwest

APC Key 25 mk2 w/ Live 11 not setting up automatically? (Windows)

Post by mountwest » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:09 pm

Hi, I just received my APC Key 25 mk2 and now I'm trouble shooting it because it won't setup to the clip launch automatically as I expected it to.

It sends midi data. The keys plays just fine with an instrument device or VST. The clip launch buttons, however, also sends midi notes and even the control buttons sends midi notes (navigation arrows, soft keys, shift, play/pause, rec etc.), except for Oct+/- which works as intended.

I understand from both tutorials and the user guide that as soon as I've plugged it into Live 11 it should configure automatically and display a highlight box around the clip matrix for working with the APC as a controller. I have gone into Preferences -> Link Tempo MIDI and I can see two active devices for the APC, with one of them referred to as (Port 2). I notice that Live receives midi data from the clip keys and soft keys when I have activated "Track" for Port 2, but I don't know whether that's intentional or not.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers for the APC and they reinstall as soon as I plug it into the USB port as well. I've tried both using a USB hub and connecting it straight into my PC.

Has anyone here had a similar problem or do you have any insight in what I might be missing for me to start using my APC as a controller and launching clips with it?

Thanks
// Jacob

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: APC Key 25 mk2 w/ Live 11 not setting up automatically? (Windows)

Post by [jur] » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:20 pm

It's a new device, isn't it?
In this case, the script might need a little update.
Ableton Forum Moderator

mountwest

Post by mountwest » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:25 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:20 pm
It's a new device, isn't it?
In this case, the script might need a little update.
Thank you I didn't really consider that, seems like it was launched during December 2022.

I'll send a bug report to the Live team and see what comes out of it. :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:26 pm

mountwest wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:09 pm
I have gone into Preferences -> Link Tempo MIDI and I can see two active devices for the APC, with one of them referred to as (Port 2). I notice that Live receives midi data from the clip keys and soft keys when I have activated "Track" for Port 2, but I don't know whether that's ...
Oh my bad, forget about my previous post. I think your problem is because the device should appear into the Control Surfaces list.
Deactivate/uncheck the ins/outs into the Midi Ports.
Ableton Forum Moderator

mountwest

Post by mountwest » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:36 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:26 pm
mountwest wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:09 pm
I have gone into Preferences -> Link Tempo MIDI and I can see two active devices for the APC, with one of them referred to as (Port 2). I notice that Live receives midi data from the clip keys and soft keys when I have activated "Track" for Port 2, but I don't know whether that's ...
Oh my bad, forget about my previous post. I think your problem is because the device should appear into the Control Surfaces list.
Deactivate/uncheck the ins/outs into the Midi Ports.
https://imgur.com/xokICtD

Seems like I have an issue with finding the list of control surfaces. The preferences page looked unfamiliar to me but I thought it was because the UI might have had a rework.

Is this something you are familiar with?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:38 pm

Also make sure that you're running the latest Live version (L11.2.7) where the scripts for the new akai controllers have been added.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:40 pm

mountwest wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:36 pm
https://imgur.com/xokICtD

Seems like I have an issue with finding the list of control surfaces. The preferences page looked unfamiliar to me but I thought it was because the UI might have had a rework.
8O the Control Surfaces area is missing! Never seen this.
Which Live edition are you running?
Ableton Forum Moderator

mountwest

Post by mountwest » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:35 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:40 pm

8O the Control Surfaces area is missing! Never seen this.
Which Live edition are you running?
Very odd, I've opened a support ticket with your recommendations included. I'll try to remember to get back here when I have an answer to the problem.

I'm running the latest version of Live Suite 11.2.7.

Lifftid

Post by Lifftid » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:10 pm

I just got my Key 25 and am having this exact problem. I understand it is still pretty fresh but all the videos I can find on YouTube show everyone having a easy plug and play experience whereas my 5x8 keys don't behave the same way as them. They just trigger the instrument instead of interacting with clips and scenes. This is the only forum entry I found for this issue so I figured I'd give it a poke. Any updates/suggestions?

As a note, it *does* appear in the control surfaces/inputs/outputs list for me and I have it selected for all three but the soft keys still do not function properly.