MIDI-Mapping on Ableton Live w/Morningstar MC8 Controller & Windows - NEED HELP

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
JBruemmer

MIDI-Mapping on Ableton Live w/Morningstar MC8 Controller & Windows - NEED HELP

Post by JBruemmer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:35 pm

Hello all,
I am a new live user. For the use in different cover bands I am interested in the control of corresponding backing-, click- and cue-tracks.
But because I have my hands full as a guitarist, I want to control the whole thing via footswitch.
I have a MC8 from Morningstar. This controller actually leaves nothing to be desired, but I get the control of Live only via keystroke commands, the MIDI mapping does not work at all. I have set the MIDI settings for the MC8 in Ableton to "remote", activated the MIDI mode and selected the appropriate functions. Still, no commands are recognized or mapped at all. :(

I tried it on Windows 10 and 11 (I don't have a Mac).
It would be great if someone could help me here.

TIA
Jan

JBruemmer

Re: MIDI-Mapping on Ableton Live w/Morningstar MC8 Controller & Windows - NEED HELP

Post by JBruemmer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:04 am

Hi folks,

I was able to solve the probem. :D Windows has (since Windows 7) no longer integrated a "MIDI mapper". Therefore a communication via MIDI based data between different programs on a Windows PC is not possible.
After some internet research I found the page nerds.de. There the virtual MIDI driver "LoopBe1" is offered. This driver allows MIDI communication between different programs. Although the description reads as if LoopBe1 only works locally between programs, I could determine by a test installation that the data exchange with external devices also works. :)

The tool plugs into the autostart and MIDI mapping under Windows is no longer a problem.
However, you have to quit the program if you want to access the settings of the MC8 via its editor (https://editor.morningstar.io). A simultaneous MIDI connection from MC8 to Abelton and the Morningstar editor does not seem to work.

Maybe someone has a similar problem and I could help.
Greetings
Jan