Display Macro Value Name instead of Number

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
oddeo

Display Macro Value Name instead of Number

Post by oddeo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:46 am

For certain parameter, a rack's macro will display the value name instead of the value number... for example, if I assign a macros to the BeatRepeat grid, the display showed the beat divisions, rather than 0-127.

Similarly, I would like to give parameter values a name that will display on Push's display, instead of 0-127. More specifically, I have a M4L device that sends Program Change and SubBank data to my primary VSTs. In those VSTs, I set up custom preset groups that respond to the SubBank.

I would like to save the preset group names into the M4L devices in a way that the names show on the Push display.

Does anyone have any direction on how to do this (if it's even possible)?
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

doubleUG

Re: Display Macro Value Name instead of Number

Post by doubleUG » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:41 pm

live.banks object

"Manage Max for Live Device banks for Push controllers.

Description
Create, edit and delete Max for Live Device parameter banks, as displayed on Ableton's Push controllers. Banks are saved with the device, but can be modified in real-time to cause updates on the Push display. For instance, you might want to reveal or hide particular parameters within a bank depending on device state."
copy the text, open Live > drag in empty M4L device > open Max editor > paste > save M4L device
https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... ng_patches

https://doubleUG.bandcamp.com/releases

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:57 am

@doubleUG, would you be willing to provide more details. Since your reply to my post I've looked on the web several times to gain a better understanding of how I might do this. I get how I can put parameter in different banks, but I've yet figured out how to give individual parameter values different names. I have Preeditor 2 for mapping parameters to banks, but again, that's not what I'm trying to do.

To make sure we are talking about the same thing, I want to reiterate an example of what I'm trying to do....

Right now, if I load the Program Change/MSB/LSB M4L device I can see the three parameters on my push and when I turn the three related encoders I see values that range from 1-128. Instead of parameters 1-128 for the MSB encoder, I would like for the value to display Bass (instead of value 1), Pads (instead of value 2), Seq (instead of value 3), and so on. I would prefer of there to only be 9 values, instead of all 127.

Based on the above description, is live.banks still the object I should be exploring? Does anyone have any examples they can share that may help me see it in action to better understand how I might use it to achieve my objectives?

Any further guidance is appreciated.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:38 am

I think I figured it out.... In fact I think I figured it out well over a decade ago and just forgot.... I remembered that I wrote a patch for a Korg M3 back in 2010 and that it had custom value names.... turns out I used a live.menu to do it. https://maxforlive.com/library/device/2 ... orkstation

It seems like a lifetime ago not. Crazy to think that I used to write complex patches like that and now I can barely remember the basics. :D

Oh well...thanks for helping me talk through it.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:34 pm

I take back my take back.... I still need help...

I'm able to map the live.menu to a rack macro, but the macro is still showing numerical values (1-127) instead of the text values from the menu (bass, pads, etc).

Can anyone provide direction on how to configure the M4L devise so that when I map to a rack macro, the macro (an in turn, Push) will display the text values?

Thank you in advance for the support.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:09 am

What you want is not possible. When you're using enums for a control, macro's always display values 1-127 if you map said control.

When you toggle the option of a macro dial to show the value as 1-127 on and off, you'll see a warning message in the status bar that confirms this.

It's not totally clear to me if you also want the unmapped controls of your Max device to show on the Push. If that's the case, use enum mode so you can enter a list of values for a control like a dial.

Adding controls to a [Live.bank] is pretty easy. Double click it when the patch is locked and you'll see a window where you can easily add the controls you want.
Dynamic banks are more difficult, since you need to send various messages to the [Live.bank] object.
Last edited by Rivanni on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:08 am

Thank you for the reply, Ravanni.

In my mind I remembered that mapping Beat Repeat interval to macros showed the division break down, but after testing M4L devices, you are right, I've not found anything that works for the macro. I'll just alter my workflow to select the Prog Chang device in the rack, rather than using macros, that way I can see the values of the live.menu object I map.