MIDI Drum Loop + Drum Hit Samples "Browser/Plugin"

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
oddeo

MIDI Drum Loop + Drum Hit Samples "Browser/Plugin"

Post by oddeo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:14 pm

Is there a VST, M4L device, or creative approach to previewing midi loops, paired with their samples, using Push 2 to navigate?

I have purchased sample packs where you get the individuals hit samples in a format that can be loaded into sampler (sometime already formatted into Drum Rack presets) AND MIDI loops/files of the drummers performance (many funk/breaks sample packs come this way).

In Ableton, I can load the drum samples into a device and then pull the midi loops into clip slots to preview them. This is fine, but requires many steps just to preview a midi file in the context. Technically, can add all of the midi clips to clips and drag the clips into the browser and when I click on the midi clips in the browser the preview will playback using the samples. This is nice too, BUT as far as I know, I can't brows them using Push.

I use a computer monitor and mouse as little as possible.

Any thoughts on how to preview midi clips (with their samples) using Push 2?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

oddeo

Re: MIDI Drum Loop + Drum Hit Samples "Browser/Plugin"

Post by oddeo » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:08 am

Still looking for ideas, but thought I would share an observation.... I came across a VST called EZDrummer 3. Technically, it achieves the goal I laid out above. However, it is total overkill for what I really need.

The more I think about it, the midi file player/librarian capability is far more important than the sample playback capability.

While EZDrummer 3 has all sorts of cool features and keeps the samples and midi grooves linked, the reality is that I already have my sample packs saved as Ableton Drum Rack presets. If I had a way of easily previewing the midi loops on push, I would be able to use the kits I already have and quickly browse midi drum grooves using those kits. Ideally, this would be a M4L midi device so that once I found a midi groove I liked I could, leave it and use it like a sequencer, record it into another midi track, or pull out the mouse and drag it onto a clip.

If anyone has ideas, please do share.

Thanks
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear