Simpler/Sampler Voices Issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tuesdvy

Simpler/Sampler Voices Issue

Post by tuesdvy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

There's an issue with the simpler/sampler still and idk if ppl addressed this already but it needs to be fixed.

When you put a 808 in simpler or sampler and set voices to 1 and turn the release all the way up, it will still clash with next midi note and click/pop.
In other sampler's and daws, like battery for example, you are able to adjust the fade in of the note so that it wont clash. In battery it is set to 10ms.

Ableton needs to implement something like this for their samplers because I shouldn't have to use 3rd party samplers. In Logic and FL Studio I don't have to do that.

I can provide examples if needed.

No, turning on loop and adjusting the fade doesn't work. (even if it did, I would still want the sample to be a 1 shot, not continuously loop.)
No, turning up the attack doesn't work.
No, turning on snap doesn't work.
No, warp is not turned on.

Richie Witch

Re: Simpler/Sampler Voices Issue

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Sounds like you aren't cutting the sample at zero crossings at the beginning and end. Easy to do in either Simpler or Sampler. Do the other products you mention automatically cut at the zero crossing?

But as you've mentioned, unless you cut the sample as the zero crossings, it will click regardless of fade, attack, release, EQ, or pretty much any other setting.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm

I don't think it's an issue with Ableton, mate. I've never had that issue in either sampler or simpler.

I just loaded an 808 kick into sampler, set voices to 1 and whacked up the release - no clicks or pops here.

Like Richie said, sound like your sample crossover/sample might be the problem? I guess it could be latency/buffer thing, too?

You got any other processing going on like saturation or compression?

tuesdvy

Post by tuesdvy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Richie Witch wrote:Sounds like you aren't cutting the sample at zero crossings at the beginning and end. Easy to do in either Simpler or Sampler. Do the other products you mention automatically cut at the zero crossing?

But as you've mentioned, unless you cut the sample as the zero crossings, it will click regardless of fade, attack, release, EQ, or pretty much any other setting.
Shift Gorden wrote:I don't think it's an issue with Ableton, mate. I've never had that issue in either sampler or simpler.

I just loaded an 808 kick into sampler, set voices to 1 and whacked up the release - no clicks or pops here.

Like Richie said, sound like your sample crossover/sample might be the problem? I guess it could be latency/buffer thing, too?

You got any other processing going on like saturation or compression?
No saturation or anything just the regular sample and its not like a zero crossing pop, it's like some weird artifact.

This is it in kontakt in ableton: https://clyp.it/kxkkf5f0

This is just regular simpler: https://clyp.it/1einlvwr

konovalovua

Post by konovalovua » Tue May 29, 2018 12:49 pm

I have the same problem.

Did anyone figured out how it can be fixed ?

beckyhs

Post by beckyhs » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:43 pm

I'm having the same issue. The monophonic setting must automatically set the release to 0.00ms when you press another key. One way to resolve this (ish) would be to set it to 'glide' and set the time to the minimum, 0.10ms. This makes the instrument 'monophonic' without the click, but sustains whatever envelopes you have set.

I've been messing with a sample tonight, wanting it monophonic with portmanteau (?! this makes the clicking even more bizarre) but had the exact same clicking/popping issue, despite the sample being at a zero crossing on both ends. Not sure how to resolve this one properly!

Did anyone ever figure out?

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:21 am

I'm bumping this thread, because I am having the same issue. The problem is, in Ableton Simpler if you play a sample that's a one shot or in Classic mode with a polyphony of 1, and retrigger the sample before it ends (Choked), the first note isn't being snapped to zero. So, you'll hear a click. I also noticed that Battery and Maschine do NOT do this. I really wish that Ableton would do something about this.

This is a problem when using Simpler/Sampler on it's own, and it's ALSO a problem in Drum Racks using "Choke Groups".

Here is a video that I made about the problem for Ableton tech support.

https://youtu.be/6DmbudbOXZE
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am

Set the Simpler to 2 voices (Classic mode only), turn off R (retrig)