Output parameter names for current device parameter bank to display or controller

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
ashleybrown

Output parameter names for current device parameter bank to display or controller

Post by ashleybrown » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:27 am

Hi all - have searched high and low, but not been able to find anything to shed light on this...

Does anyone know of a way to output the parameter names for the current device's current parameter bank to ...something, for example:
- a max for live device?
- a VST plug-in?
- a CTRLR panel?
- an iPad app?
- a standalone app (MacOS)?

I want to be able to use a custom remote script to control the default parameter bank (and switch to additional banks as required) but would like to be able to visually tell what parameters are automatically mapped to the knobs on the controller. Ideally, I want to be able to map more than one bank via the remote script, for example map the first three banks for any device to a controller with 3 rows of eight knobs, and would like to be able to see a visual references as to which control is mapped to which know. This also needs to be dynamic, so that it updates as you cycle through devices, or parameter banks for a given device (i.e. can't just hard-code the labels, needs to pull them from Live, based on the device with the blue hand).

Surely something like this must exist, but I can't seem to find anything that does this....
ish

2.16 GHz MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.4.7, Live 6.0.1, 23" Cinema Display, Tascam US-428 & Evolution UC-33e (emulating Mackie Control via LC Xmu 2.2.0)

weselle

Re: Output parameter names for current device parameter bank to display or controller

Post by weselle » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:17 pm

Hi, did you ever find a solution for this? I was also thinking the same since I am using a launch control but often have no clue which knob is assigned to what, especially for a larger set when scrolling through multiple instruments etc...

Something like openFrameworks-ableton looks like it could be working the right direction for retrieving the parameter info. I don't know however, if there is a call for the targeted device (i.e. whatever the blue hand is hovering over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQobrRnnWCo

ashleybrown

Re: Output parameter names for current device parameter bank to display or controller

Post by ashleybrown » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:27 am

Sadly no. The closest I came across was the awesome work that Stray at NativeKontrol was doing, in particular his DDC display / PDE (Push Display Emulator), etc… But looks like it is not Live 11 compatible and not sure if he is still actively developing anymore.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9CKKYY6C0

If anyone knows of something similar that does the job, I’m still looking!
ish

2.16 GHz MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.4.7, Live 6.0.1, 23" Cinema Display, Tascam US-428 & Evolution UC-33e (emulating Mackie Control via LC Xmu 2.2.0)

Ryan Cara

Post by Ryan Cara » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:19 am

Hey,

Sorry to revive an old thread.

I contacted Zack Steinkamp (https://steinkamp.us/music-tools/) about creating something that does just this, and within a week he was able to create this:

https://github.com/zsteinkamp/m4l-Bluhand

It works over OSC and displays the currently selected device parameters to labelled Touch OSC faders.

It would be great if Ableton created an official controller that was just encoders and a display
(Especially for people who prefer a regular keyboard over the pads found on the Push)...

Maybe one day :mrgreen:

Ryan

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:06 pm

This can be achieved with OSC and CLyphX Pro, we have many users in our Facebook group doing the same...

Cheers
D

Ryan Cara

Post by Ryan Cara » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:11 pm

S4racen wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:06 pm
This can be achieved with OSC and CLyphX Pro, we have many users in our Facebook group doing the same...

Cheers
D
Wasn’t aware of this, will have to check it out!

Ryan