Resizing Group tracks in arrangement view

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
scg

Re: Resizing Group tracks in arrangement view

Post by scg » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:50 am

I just ran into this as well. It seems that beyond a certain limit (6 subtracks is what I'm seeing), you can no longer reduce the group track height to one unit. As others have noted, this wastes a lot of vertical space, and having multiple different track heights can be visually confusing. This seems to reduce the usefulness of groups significantly.

Is it really the case that you can't make group tracks one unit tall like other tracks? The Ableton site says Centercode is the best place to submit and vote on feature requests, but that seems more geared towards beta testers, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to sign up there just for feature requests. In any case, +1.

bpm.qa

Post by bpm.qa » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:22 pm

Please contact Ableton Support in any case so that they can receive your feedback and share it with the appropriate team!

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/#contact-support

scg

Post by scg » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:22 am

bpm.qa wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:22 pm
Please contact Ableton Support in any case so that they can receive your feedback and share it with the appropriate team!

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/#contact-support
Apparently you're supposed to submit feature requests using Centercode. But, although there's an opt-out in the signup process, it seems like Centercode is for beta testers. Does Ableton mind if we sign up for Centercode just to submit and vote on feature requests?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 am

scg wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:22 am
Does Ableton mind if we sign up for Centercode just to submit and vote on feature requests?
It's indeed up to you to go there and just vote, but yes, the main purpose is to help beta testing.
There's also a Feature Wishlist here on this forum. I'm pretty sure there's already a thread about resizing group tracks, you can upvote it... or maybe I should just move this one over there 🧐
Ableton Forum Moderator

scg

Post by scg » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:25 pm

...but yes, the main purpose is to help beta testing.
That's the impression I got.
I'm pretty sure there's already a thread about resizing group tracks...
Yeah, I posted in that one too :) Anyway, it's just an inconvenience (not a major issue), but it'd be great if the behavior were revised in a future version. Here's hoping...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:49 pm

scg wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:25 pm
Anyway, it's just an inconvenience (not a major issue), but it'd be great if the behavior were revised in a future version. Here's hoping...
You've no idea how much I do agree! That's been a serious pain point since grouped tracks exist!
Ableton Forum Moderator

marchseveth

Post by marchseveth » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:52 am

+1
I can understand that the group track needs to show the stems when the group track is folded. So I cannot reduce the height-size too small.
But when I unfold group track, I don't need to look at the stem's thumbnail, because all tracks are unfolded, I can just look at my tracks directly. The height-size still cannot be reduced too small.

scg

Post by scg » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:06 am

marchseveth wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:52 am
+1
I can understand that the group track needs to show the stems when the group track is folded. So I cannot reduce the height-size too small.
But when I unfold group track, I don't need to look at the stem's thumbnail, because all tracks are unfolded, I can just look at my tracks directly. The height-size still cannot be reduced too small.
Although I'm always happy to see attention to this issue, I have to slightly disagree with the above. Group tracks should be arbitrarily resizable whether open or closed, because they can use large amounts of vertical real estate needlessly in both cases. How to handle the thumbnails would of course be a matter for the developers, but options I can think of include collapsing them all to a single bar or even just hiding them completely if the group track height is reduced far enough.

LethalRush

Post by LethalRush » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:39 pm

+1

I work with a lot of groups and groups within groups; in my current project around 15% of the vertical real estate in arranger is empty due to groups with lots of stuff in them. It's annoying and contributes to the scroll fatigue that is already quite prevalent in Live.