Midi note offset for hardware

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
interceptor

Midi note offset for hardware

Post by interceptor » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:19 pm

Hello,

We have midi clock sync delay in preferences and that's great for clocked devices.

But a lot of hardware synths also need an offset for midi notes to stay in sync. For example my Juno-60 with dcb interface is about 12 ms late. Also my MKS-80 is about 11 ms late.

It would be so nice to be able to set a negative delay for midi tracks also. Something like this:

I know that we have track delay when delay compensation is on. But delay compensation makes a hardware based setup very unstable. It makes my other slaved sequencers drift and go out of sync.

To have a stable sync setup with hardware drum machines and sequencers delay compensation must be off. That is what I have learned over the years trying to get sequencers to play along tightly.

Sure this would add overall latency to the system. But would it be possible for something like this? It would make Live such a nice sequencer for hardware.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Midi note offset for hardware

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:09 am

interceptor wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:19 pm
I know that we have track delay when delay compensation is on.
That's what I would have suggest you...
Might be a stupid question, but did you try it with delay compensation turned off? Depending on your setup and the plugins you're using it might be a terrible idea, but... depending on your setup it might worth trying.

And what about track delaying only other tracks only?
Ableton Forum Moderator

interceptor

Re: Midi note offset for hardware

Post by interceptor » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:45 pm

Hi Jur!

Its not a terrible idea. Sorry if I was unclear. But this is with delay compensation off. Thats the most stable sync setup I have found. I just use very few plugins, so its ok. But with delay compensation off midi track delay is not available. Its greyed out. So there is no possibility to offset notes.

After reading a bit more I found that Live´s midi clock is not delay compensated. I didnt know or think about that, but that seems to be the root of my sync problems when delay compensation is on. So another way of solving this problem would be if midi clock was delay compensated. Then we could offset notes via track delay.

I already sent in a feature request for this to support@ableton.com and hopefully more people can do the same so we can get Ableton to prioritize this.