CHORD recognition in AL11 or 3rd party plugin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
micksmuse

CHORD recognition in AL11 or 3rd party plugin

Post by micksmuse » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:11 pm

i am using live 11 and love it. am mostly a guitar player but seem to write most songs on keyboard and not being a musical wiz I would love to be able to identify the chords of what i wrote in a song a month later when i lay down the guitar tracks without figuring them out by ear to speed the process.
is there anything in live 11 that will do that like a scoring tool (that would read and identify the midi). if not, is there any recommendations of a plugin that could just give me chord signatures for the somewhat radical inversions i dream up on keyboard? i had found one a while back that would score it all out but didn't give chord signatures and was quite cumbersome.

scg

Re: CHORD recognition in AL11 or 3rd party plugin

Post by scg » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:08 pm

Try the MIDI Monitor Max device (under 'MIDI Effects'). Automated chord recognition can involve some guesswork, since the same note set can be interpreted multiple ways in some cases. But, I just ran a bunch of chords through MIDI Monitor, and it did pretty well. Some more complex chords it either interpreted oddly or failed to provide analysis for at all, but most of the input it handled well, including inversions. So, I'd start there.

micksmuse

Re: CHORD recognition in AL11 or 3rd party plugin

Post by micksmuse » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:47 am

thanks so much, looks like it might do the trick. much appreciated.