options

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Ryan_DJ LOCO

options

Post by Ryan_DJ LOCO » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:31 am

theres so many options with Ableton Live 11. What are some main things producers need to focus on to get better? As of now Im putting out 1 track every week. It doesnt matter if it sounds any good. I want it to be danceable, but most of all at this time I want to get better. I know that some main elements like reverb, distortion, automation, and VSTs are key. But I get so carried away by an alien sound that i end up here on the forums. Any advice for me?

slow.robot

Re: options

Post by slow.robot » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:12 am

get good at what, exactly? that’s your answer on where to focus. if you want to have strong arrangements and songwriting, work on that. sound design? do that. writing catchy parts/hooks? spend your time there.

unless your current goal is to be more prolific (currently my own goal), I’d say drop the weekly finished song constraint. eventually, when you’re better on the stuff you’re currently focused on, you’ll have a stronger foundation to up your output.

and that weird alien sound that draws you in—let it! if you’re loving where a sound is taking you, then you’re enjoying being a musician, and that’s always valuable, even if it ends up being just a temporary detour.

Ryan_DJ LOCO

Re: options

Post by Ryan_DJ LOCO » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:40 am

Yes thank you! The alien sound is great and causes me to feel vulnerable about the sound im putting out. This lets me be more okay with who I am and what my sound is like, but your advice is key. I will focus on something of what youre saying. Thats exactly the kind of perspective I needed.