The dumbest question EVER!))

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kesha1

The dumbest question EVER!))

Post by kesha1 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm

1. Is there a way to control in real time a playing (MIDI) clip transpose with a MIDI keyboard?
2. If yes, could the beginning of transposing be linked to the Global Quantize setting (so, it starts in next bar, or after 4 bars, etc.)?

If not, then why Live doesn't have such useful feature, and what other function could do this?
Yes, each (used in a song) MIDI keyboard key could be assigned to a different clip with the same music recorded from a different key, but that is really dumb way to do it))

pottering

Re: The dumbest question EVER!))

Post by pottering » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:14 pm

1. MIDI Clips don't have transpose, but you can simply put a Pitch device in the tracks and MIDI assign its Pitch knob, or a Scale device and MIDI assign its Transpose slider.

You can also MIDI assign a key range to a MIDI Clip slot, it will play chromatically.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi- ... midi-notes

2. Can be done with "dummy clips".

https://ask.audio/articles/dummy-clips- ... leton-live
♥♥♥

kesha1

Post by kesha1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Thank you SO much for your reply!
Now, the second part of the question: How to link the change of the note (transpose) to the Global Quantize, (or at least the beginning of a next bar)?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:36 pm

2. Can be done with "dummy clips".

https://ask.audio/articles/dummy-clips- ... leton-live

Cheers
D

kesha1

Post by kesha1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:00 pm

Great! A dummy clip will work, how about the other 3 ways described in the initial reply: Pitch, Scale and MIDI assign key range, is there a way to sync any of them to the Global Quantize, so the transpose effect will start at a bar beginning?

Tranceophile

Post by Tranceophile » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:05 pm

kesha1 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm
1. Is there a way to control in real time a playing (MIDI) clip transpose with a MIDI keyboard?
2. If yes, could the beginning of transposing be linked to the Global Quantize setting (so, it starts in next bar, or after 4 bars, etc.)?

If not, then why Live doesn't have such useful feature, and what other function could do this?
I have an answer to Question 1 (see below for discussion of Question 2). Way back in 2015 I created TransposerRT (the RT stands for "Real Time") to allow transposition of one or more MIDI tracks on the fly, by playing pitch transpositions from another MIDI track, either by using a MIDI keyboard or by playing a clip. I've used TransposerRT constantly since 2015, and many people have successfully used it too.

That said, nothing in this world is perfect, and TransposerRT is no exception. For one thing, TranposerRT is implemented as two Max for Live MIDI effect devices, so although the devices are freely downloadable at www.maxforlive.com, you must have Max for Live on your system to use them. Also, some users -particularly those who work on big projects with a lot of stuff going on- report that it can interfere with UI scrolling (for example, when the user scrolls down in the Session view to see clips further down), making it jumpier. Nevertheless, some of the same folks who report this behavior tell me it's not a deal-breaker, in light of the capabilities TransposerRT delivers. If you're still interested, check out the YouTube video I made, where I discuss the concept and demonstrate TransposerRT in action.

As for Question 2, if I understand it correctly: Since TransposerRT involves sending MIDI pitch offsets from a particular track, then if you wish to introduce quantization, you can record your transpositions to a clip on the Sender track, and use the clip's launch quantization settings to accomplish the desired goal.

And regarding your question as to why Live doesn't have this feature, I do not know; but one of the reasons for me creating the video was so that Ableton could see what I've done and perhaps consider adding TransposerRT to the set of M4L devices that ship with all versions of Live.