Midi move when exporting midi clip?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ferdik

Midi move when exporting midi clip?

Post by Ferdik » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi! I put midi to the 1/512 grid and export the midi clip. For some reason Ableton move the midis, so when importing the midi clip the midis are no longer at the 1/512. Why is it like this?

Ferdik

Re: Midi move when exporting midi clip?

Post by Ferdik » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:50 am

It seem to move the midis to closest 1/16, 1/128 and 1/196 when exporting. Why?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:24 pm

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... MIDI-files
Live exports MIDI files with a resolution of 96 ppq, which means a 16th note can be divided into 24 steps. All MIDI events are shifted to this grid accordingly when exported. You might notice that the position of MIDI information, like note and controller events, has changed when exporting to MIDI files.
16 x 24 is 256.
♥♥♥

Ferdik

Post by Ferdik » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:07 am

pottering wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:24 pm
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... MIDI-files
Live exports MIDI files with a resolution of 96 ppq, which means a 16th note can be divided into 24 steps. All MIDI events are shifted to this grid accordingly when exported. You might notice that the position of MIDI information, like note and controller events, has changed when exporting to MIDI files.
16 x 24 is 256.
Many thanks Pottering! They need to fix this, it violates the artistic freedom 8)

Ferdik

Post by Ferdik » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:11 pm

Any plans of increase resolution when exporting, so midi will be more accurate :?:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:56 pm

Is it possible to work in a different tempo or time signature?

Ferdik

Post by Ferdik » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:53 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:56 pm
Is it possible to work in a different tempo or time signature?
Sounds complicated! Would be better if they had a few steps higher resolution and no one would complain. Or at least let users choose resolution when exporting. Please make this happen!

RobrechtV

Post by RobrechtV » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:25 pm

The suggestion of a different tempo or time signature was probably prompted by the fact that working on a 1/512 grid is quite extreme. In order for such minuscule differences to be audible, I imagine you must be entering very fast notes into a very slow tempo?

Of course we have no idea what you are trying to achieve. If you're not aware that you are doing anything extreme, you should probably look into choosing a better combination of tempo and time signature for your project. It's no use trying to create a track with a 240 bpm feel on a 30 bpm grid and then bumping into the limitations of the system if everything would work so much better using the appropriate bpm to begin with.

However, if your 1/512 grid is a conscious choice, for instance because you want to push the boundaries of Western music notation or you are simply very particular about your timing, then your point about artistic freedom is valid. Live's MIDI export functionality has a couple of frustrating limitations and could definitely benefit from more options.

Ferdik

Post by Ferdik » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:43 pm

RobrechtV wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:25 pm
The suggestion of a different tempo or time signature was probably prompted by the fact that working on a 1/512 grid is quite extreme. In order for such minuscule differences to be audible, I imagine you must be entering very fast notes into a very slow tempo?

Of course we have no idea what you are trying to achieve. If you're not aware that you are doing anything extreme, you should probably look into choosing a better combination of tempo and time signature for your project. It's no use trying to create a track with a 240 bpm feel on a 30 bpm grid and then bumping into the limitations of the system if everything would work so much better using the appropriate bpm to begin with.

However, if your 1/512 grid is a conscious choice, for instance because you want to push the boundaries of Western music notation or you are simply very particular about your timing, then your point about artistic freedom is valid. Live's MIDI export functionality has a couple of frustrating limitations and could definitely benefit from more options.
I just want more "extreme" grid when placing notes for drum grooves, since I'm very picky about them. Rest of the midis I'm happy with up to 1/32 :)

So let's say they put a maximum at 1/1024 when exporting midi and I don't think no one ever will have an issue.

RobrechtV

Post by RobrechtV » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:13 pm

Being very picky about drum grooves is an excellent reason to ask for more precision. :D Absolutely agree you shouldn't be limited artistically in that.

So yeah, I second your request then.

Ferdik

Post by Ferdik » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:36 am

I'll bump this! Any official know if any update for this is planned? A little more than 96 ppq when exporting midi would be awesome!