Please explain Note Chasing to me

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
broke

Please explain Note Chasing to me

Post by broke » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:31 am

Hi folks, I'm trying to get note chasing to work in Live 10, but even if it is activated, notes are not being played if the play head begins in the middle of the note. It is both not working in session nor in arrangement view. Is that the same experience for you?

On a sidenote: I recall Note chasing working as I expected in one of the Live 10 public betas months ago. Meaning it plays every note inside a midi clip no matter where the play head is starting.

Thanks for reporting your experiences and hints regarding note chasing in Live 10.
T.

Stromkraft

Re: Please explain Note Chasing to me

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am

Works here in both Live 10.0.2 release and 10.0.3b5. Both in Arrangement and in Session when starting the clip in the middle of notes that have their note ons before the start point. I used my track pad and point and click in the scrub area with Permanent Scrub Area "on" in my preferences.

Toggling the Chase MIDI Notes on and off in the Options menu works as expe3cted.

How exactly isn't this working for you?
Make some music!

broke

Post by broke » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. :)
I try to be more specific by posting an image of my expectations towards "note chasing".

https://imgur.com/a/Q0PCVJp

Example:
I am in session view.
I have a clip were a set of notes have their note-on event outside of the clip boundaries.
When playing this specific clip, i'd like the "out-of-bounds" notes to play.
This is what I would expect note chasing to do.

Kind regards.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Following thread as I've also never been able to get this to work.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:52 pm

broke wrote:When playing this specific clip, i'd like the "out-of-bounds" notes to play.
Live's note chase doesn't work with notes outside of the clip's boundaries.

mikb

Post by mikb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:37 pm

broke wrote: I have a clip were a set of notes have their note-on event outside of the clip boundaries.
Your expectation makes little sense. Chasing MIDI notes is about notes that would play if you had started from the start marker of the clip. If you also chase notes that couldn't have started to play at the start marker Live would be lying to the user about what notes would have played had the user started from there. That's bad practice. Adjust your expectations.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

broke

Post by broke » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:55 am

mikb wrote:
broke wrote: I have a clip were a set of notes have their note-on event outside of the clip boundaries.
Your expectation makes little sense. Chasing MIDI notes is about notes that would play if you had started from the start marker of the clip. If you also chase notes that couldn't have started to play at the start marker Live would be lying to the user about what notes would have played had the user started from there. That's bad practice. Adjust your expectations.
Understood. I recognize in that particular example I posted, I would have to work with rendered audio within a clip.

Coming back to note chasing and how it should work:
I now tested shifting the note-on events into the clips boundaries with Note Chasing on and having the play head start after the note-on event. After hitting the space bar to start playing the clip, the two early notes were not triggered. Screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/Sc4WmKS Shouldn't that work at least?

mikb

Post by mikb » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:47 am

broke wrote:
I now tested shifting the note-on events into the clips boundaries with Note Chasing on and having the play head start after the note-on event. After hitting the space bar to start playing the clip, the two early notes were not triggered. Screenshot here: Image Shouldn't that work at least?
Yes. Clips like that are what works for me as described. Are you on Live 10.0.2?
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

broke

Post by broke » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:32 am

mikb wrote:
broke wrote:
I now tested shifting the note-on events into the clips boundaries with Note Chasing on and having the play head start after the note-on event. After hitting the space bar to start playing the clip, the two early notes were not triggered. Screenshot here: Image Shouldn't that work at least?
Yes. Clips like that are what works for me as described. Are you on Live 10.0.2?
Yes, I am on 10.0.2.

mikb

Post by mikb » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:24 am

broke wrote:
mikb wrote: Are you on Live 10.0.2?
Yes, I am on 10.0.2.
Then it should really work. I'm not sure if there are preferences that might affect which start method that works with note chasing. It might be you need to reset Live.

BOMBPHONICS

Post by BOMBPHONICS » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Turning off chase midi worked for me.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:02 pm

I know this is an old thread, but it's relevant even now.

First, my understanding of "chase midi notes" is that if you start somewhere other than the "start" of a clip, it should still sound the notes. This is not working here. I'm trying to sift through this, but it seems that it works for some, and then not so much for others.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

horsecollins

Post by horsecollins » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:30 am

Dropping a comment on this post as it is relevant for me as well. I always treated/viewed it as an impossibility, but I'm very curious to see how this thread develops. I am running 10.0.1 and am available for testing if needed.