Mastering plugins input / output levels?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
VooDooGenic

Mastering plugins input / output levels?

Post by VooDooGenic » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:39 am

hi all,

forgive me if this question has been answered before. i've watched a ton of tutorials and, i'm still a little bit fuzzy on this topic.

from the tutorials, i've learned to use the Utility tool to gain stage the diff instruments, and my Master Bus level is -6. so far, so good. i then export to a .wav file.

i then import the .wav file into a new Ableton session, and then typically add 2 plugins:

1 - saturator (Waves Infected Mushroom)
2 - limiter (Tokyo Dawn Limiter 6 GE)

starting with the saturator, the thing that's got me perplexed is - how do i determine the input and output levels? is it some combination that results in the output levels maintaining the -6 headroom going into the limiter?

thanks in advance.

Gianni

Tarekith

Re: Mastering plugins input / output levels?

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:59 am

Instead ask yourself, why are you using a Saturator in the first place? What issue in your song do you hear that you think requires a Saturator?

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:54 pm

thank you for your reply.

i'm a virtual noob to this, but w/o the saturator, the song sounds kind of "pale" - i guess that's that best way for me to describe it.

if there are other (non-technical) ways for me to achieve this, i would certainly welcome any advice.

Gianni.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:41 pm

Hard to say what you should do without hearing the song. Can you post the mix down so I can take a listen?

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:45 am

thanks again. i will post a couple of samples. still new to this, so it may take me a day or two.

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:48 am

a little off-topic, and i'd hate to kick a company when they are down, but i think i'm not a fan of Waves' business practices, so i'd eventually like to move away from the Waves Infected Mushroom plugin.

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:24 am

hi and sorry it took so long. the whole Mastering process is still a bit of a mystery to me.

i've tried to match the Integrated LUFS on both clips. i'll attach a link to a couple of clips here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

1. Song with Saturation.
2. Song without Saturation.

thank you.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:08 pm

Yes, I agree that the version without the saturator sounds a little more dull in comparison. That said, the version WITH the saturator sounds a little buzzy and harsh in places too. Not saying that using a saturator in mastering is wrong, but for something like this a gentle EQ boost of about 2dB around 1kHz with a broad Q setting could help gain back some of that presence without adding distortion.

Anyway, as always there's more than one way to fix and issue in music production. Best advice I can give is to not reach for Saturation all the time, but instead consider why you would use it versus something like EQ.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:47 pm

Am I daft in thinking that "saturation" is different than "tape emu" ?

If I'm not, then I'd strongly recommend trying something like "tape" by softube or the now native "studder" by UAD.

Both have excellent no-BS demos, so you could try that and see if it adds more of what you are looking for. The studder is my fav, personally.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:36 pm

thank you all for the replies.

i'd be more than willing to try diff ways to address the "vibrancy" of the music, and if i can subtract one more moving part, i'd be more than happy to do so.

but circling back to my orig "head-scratcher", all these plugins have Input and Output knobs.

so if the music is being fed to the plugin at -6, should i be leaving the input control at 0 and tuning the output levels to match the -6 of the original signal? at which point the Limiter does the rest?

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:38 pm

chris harbin wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:47 pm
Am I daft in thinking that "saturation" is different than "tape emu" ?

If I'm not, then I'd strongly recommend trying something like "tape" by softube or the now native "studder" by UAD.

Both have excellent no-BS demos, so you could try that and see if it adds more of what you are looking for. The studder is my fav, personally.
in my noob-level understanding, i think they are all similar in terms of function?

VooDooGenic

Post by VooDooGenic » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 am

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:08 pm
Yes, I agree that the version without the saturator sounds a little more dull in comparison. That said, the version WITH the saturator sounds a little buzzy and harsh in places too. Not saying that using a saturator in mastering is wrong, but for something like this a gentle EQ boost of about 2dB around 1kHz with a broad Q setting could help gain back some of that presence without adding distortion.

Anyway, as always there's more than one way to fix and issue in music production. Best advice I can give is to not reach for Saturation all the time, but instead consider why you would use it versus something like EQ.
i will certainly try these suggestions - thank you.