Default MIDI Track for Instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Rabbits

Default MIDI Track for Instruments

Post by The Rabbits » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:57 am

Is there a way to set up the devices you want when you create a new midi track by dropping an instrument in the "Drop Files and Devices Here" area? I know you can create a new track, then drop the instrument, but it seems like there should be a way to set the other devices you want when adding an instrument.
Thanks

maky355

Re: Default MIDI Track for Instruments

Post by maky355 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:41 am

The Rabbits wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:57 am
Is there a way to set up the devices you want when you create a new midi track by dropping an instrument in the "Drop Files and Devices Here" area? I know you can create a new track, then drop the instrument, but it seems like there should be a way to set the other devices you want when adding an instrument.
Thanks
You can add whatever you want to a channel. A device, a clip(or more), and a chain of FX or MIDI devices. Then instead of saving each device preset, you can name a channel accordingly and then save a whole channel as a "preset". You simply drag the channel to your browser folder and be done with it (if being asked by Live what to save separately, you don't have to save anything).

Then you simply drag the whole channel into a new or current session and everything is ready to go. That way you can say for example create folders of basslines and save whole channels, with clips and sequences (and FX chains) into that folder. And later you call that into any session by drag and drop.

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:23 am

Thanks. I've done that with synths and other chains, I was just hoping for a way to set up a standard chain for synths.
Using the midi track default then double clicking the synths I want gets it done and it's only one more step.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:21 pm

Right-click a mid track's header > save as default midi track
Ableton Forum Moderator

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:33 pm

That's doesn't get used when you drop a synth to create a new track. As opposed to creating the track then adding the synth I want.
I'm trying to get it to work regardless of the synth I drop in the "Drop here to...".

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:56 pm

The Rabbits wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:33 pm
That's doesn't get used when you drop a synth to create a new track.
My bad, I didn't read you correctly. Yep, that's the way it works: a track's default settings are one applied when adding a track from the shortcut (or menu of course).
Ableton Forum Moderator

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:37 pm

maky355 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:41 am
The Rabbits wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:57 am
Thanks
You can add whatever you want to a channel. A device, a clip(or more), and a chain of FX or MIDI devices. Then instead of saving each device preset, you can name a channel accordingly and then save a whole channel as a "preset". You simply drag the channel to your browser folder and be done with it (if being asked by Live what to save separately, you don't have to save anything).

Then you simply drag the whole channel into a new or current session and everything is ready to go. That way you can say for example create folders of basslines and save whole channels, with clips and sequences (and FX chains) into that folder. And later you call that into any session by drag and drop.
I wanted to say thank you for this. This is similar to track presets in Studio One, which I was missing ;) Now I can have all the midi/audio presets I want.

It's also a good idea to have a specific (or maybe more than one? ) folder in that area for such a thing (for some reason, at first if you've never done it, you think you can drop it into the area above and that of course doesn't work. I'm getting the hang of this ableton thing........
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

maky355

Post by maky355 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:18 am

I have more folders. Named by categories. Your structure may vary. Do whatever is best for your workflow.

Make some good music. 15 years later Live still cease to amaze me. Even with all the issues I have. Regards.