Anybody know how to disable a single midi channel on a controller?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ANECHOIC SHOCK

Anybody know how to disable a single midi channel on a controller?

Post by ANECHOIC SHOCK » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:22 am

Specifically I am dealing with a malfunctioning channel 1 midi fader, on a novation LaunchControlXL. I tried air, vaccum, fader repair solution, and I'm pretty sure it is 'damaged' not unclean. The behavior is that the channel is constantly spamming out midi messages, killing any possibility to 'undo' anything because the undo log is just 'vol adjustment' X100.

So is there a way that I can just nuke this entire channel with software? Or I guess hardware destruction, failing that? This strikes me as a job that m4L should be able to tackle though.

Thanks

Live 11. ... current beta, max is bundled. Windows 10.

chapelier fou

Re: Anybody know how to disable a single midi channel on a controller?

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:29 am

You could access the control surface and grab the component, and then do nothing with it.
Or MIDI map it to a dummy control in live. That will overwrite control surface mapping I guess.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ANECHOIC SHOCK

Re: Anybody know how to disable a single midi channel on a controller?

Post by ANECHOIC SHOCK » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:24 pm

Thanks, you already led me to a solution that I can live with - something so obvious I didn't ever think of looking into it: just have chan/ fader #1 reside on an empty midi track. Unlike audio tracks, with midi - no instrument, no device = no fader. And the DAW no longer 'sees' all the spamming.

I only ever tried using track 1 (i.e. 'midi fader 1') to keep empty clips containing 'info' / comments, 'length markers', that sort of thing. But then ableton would see the spamming, which killed all undo actions, and made it impossible to midi map anything, cuz 'fader 1', big surprise, is the location where everything is going to be mapped. Anyway, thanks for leading me to stumble into this.

As for your ACTUAL suggestions, I'm gonna look into them too. ...I've mostly just 'used' m4L in the past, so I'll need to parse your response a bit, but I gather that by ‘grab_control’ youre talking about a function call, in cyclin '74, that I could use inside a max device, using that max device editor? I'll get it sorted out using the documentation. As for 'dummy control', I've heard of dummy clips, and dummy tracks before... but not dummy control exactly. Any relation? Or different concept?