Making unmappable things Midi Mappable

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
tjspurge

Making unmappable things Midi Mappable

Post by tjspurge » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:36 pm

I found a great max device called Mutator, which shuffles notes around in a clip. The only problem is that the Mutatebutton can’t be midi mapped.

I know zero about max but I’m thinking it would be a simple matter to achieve this by editing the max patch.

Can someone explain to me like I’m five years old how to do this?

Thanks all!

S4racen

Re: Making unmappable things Midi Mappable

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:41 pm

Any button that needs to be midi mapped needs to be a live GUI object, this sound like a live.button, it will need to have its state set to automatable and stored.

I would contact the developer to ask why they didn't do that as any button of this nature will write to Lives undo history and that may not be desired.

Cheers
D

tjspurge

Post by tjspurge » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:52 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I will contact the developer.

In the meantime, does anyone have any device recommendations for a similar device that can rearrange midi notes in a clip? Searching the max community site is tough and I usually stumble upon good stuff while looking through many pages of random devices.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:55 pm

It would be remiss of me not to send you here... https://isotonikstudios.com/product-cat ... i-devices/

Cheers
D

tjspurge

Post by tjspurge » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:43 pm

oo any specific device? The reason I liked Mutator is because of the simplicity (I’m going to be using it in a live context and I can’t be mouse clicking)

Maybe it’s time I bite the bullet and buy some of these isotonik devices and try em out!

ty