Export location

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
JamJuice

Export location

Post by JamJuice » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 pm

I recently made the switch from Logic to Live. So far so good and I'm having a lot of fun!

I have a couple quick questions:

- When I export a track the default location Live gives me isn't the folder where the set is saved. This seems unusual in most applications on the Mac, not just DAW. Is there a setting I need to change somewhere? I work on about 20 cues per day so it's something that slows me down jumping between sets throughout the day.

- Is there an equivalent to Bounce In Place yet? I've read online there isn't but not that recently. BIP is very quick and easy to do in Logic and something I do in most projects.

Thanks!
Jam.

jestermgee

Re: Export location

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:00 am

JamJuice wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 pm
- When I export a track the default location Live gives me isn't the folder where the set is saved. This seems unusual in most applications on the Mac, not just DAW. Is there a setting I need to change somewhere? I work on about 20 cues per day so it's something that slows me down jumping between sets throughout the day.
Live should use the last location selected for export which will not be your project folder unless that is the last location you selected. This is perfectly normal/valid because not everyone saves a render to the project foldfer, I have a folder that I save all my renders to separate from projects so I can quickly upload or transfer without picking through projects.
JamJuice wrote:
- Is there an equivalent to Bounce In Place yet? I've read online there isn't but not that recently. BIP is very quick and easy to do in Logic and something I do in most projects.
As in render the track to audio and leave in place?

- Freeze?

Will render a track to audio and use that in place of the actual synths/effects but leave them in place so you can easily unfreeze to make edits if needed.

JamJuice

Post by JamJuice » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Logic has freeze too but bounce in place is different unfortunately. I often bounce part of a track, leaving the original still active, and then manipulate that one smaller section. Super basic and nothing fancy. I'll keep looking.

azor2000

Post by azor2000 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:58 am

jestermgee wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:00 am
JamJuice wrote:
Live should use the last location selected for export which will not be your project folder unless that is the last location you selected. This is perfectly normal/valid because not everyone saves a render to the project foldfer, I have a folder that I save all my renders to separate from projects so I can quickly upload or transfer without picking through projects.
JamJuice wrote:

- Freeze?

Will render a track to audio and use that in place of the actual synths/effects but leave them in place so you can easily unfreeze to make edits if needed.
This should be a INDIVIDUAL choice, and not a oneway option. How would you feel with only the option to render in project folders? Not so good. So please fix this as an export option. Could be easy, just a tic box if you want to save in the latest export folder or project based.

azor2000

Post by azor2000 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:58 am

jestermgee wrote:
JamJuice wrote:
JamJuice wrote:

- Freeze?

This should be a INDIVIDUAL choice, and not a oneway option. How would you feel with only the option to render in project folders? Not so good. So please fix this as an export option. Could be easy, just a tic box if you want to save in the latest export folder or project based.

azor2000

Post by azor2000 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:59 am

jestermgee wrote:
JamJuice wrote:
JamJuice wrote:

- Freeze?